If your house is getting warmer and warmer as the summer approaches, then adding insulation foam can be a great help to reduce this problem. Insulation foam is used to insulate more or less any part and component of your home, starting from your roof going down to the very foundation of your house. It offers excellent heat resistance and undoubtedly adds to the structural strength and support of your home. Hence, foam board insulation coverings trim down on the transference of heat through wood, steel studs, and other structural elements.
Here's how to compare the different types of insulation foam and their uses.
- Molded Expanded Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation. Molded expanded polystyrene is an enclosed material that you can mold into different everyday items, for example shipping materials and coffee cups, or you can pattern it into huge sheets of foam insulation. Molded expanded polystyrene foam insulation is also known as beadboard. Beadboard used for roof insulation should be thick enough to prevent possible damage; wall insulation, on the other, hand is less dense compared to roof boards. It is also used as insulation for SIPs or structural insulated panels.
- Extruded Expanded Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation. Extruded expanded polystyrene is also similar to molded expanded polystyrene. To create this kind of foam insulation, the pellets of polystyrene are blended with a variety of chemicals to dissolve them. Afterwards, you will inject a blowing agent in the mixture; this will cause the formation of gas bubbles. When it is already cool, you can cut the panel as required. Extruded expanded polystyrene is much more expensive compared to molded expanded polystyrene. This is suited for wall panels or roofs.
- Polyisocyanurate and Polyurethane Foam Board Insulation. Polyisocyanurate or simply polyiso and polyurethane are closely similar to each other, and they both possess high R-values. Like the other insulation foam boards, you can use them for thermal or heat resistance. You can enjoy their advantages even if you have limitations in space. Polyiso board insulation has different compressive strengths. The compressive strength means the capacity of a foam board to oppose deformation and keep its shape even when under a force or load. This is the reason why it is good for roofing insulation.
Aside from floor insulation and roof insulation that these kinds of foam boards offer, there are also other uses that we can get from insulation foam.
- You can hit a beehive using insulation foam. Try to spray a pesticide inside the hives then spray the foam to seal and shut the opening.
- If you want a quiet spin-cycle inside your washing machine, you can spray foam in the pipes of the water supply.
- Put foam beneath the lining space of your tub floor. At the snap of your finger, you have a bed in your own bath.
- Seal the leaks in your house using foam insulation.
With the diverse uses of insulation foam, whether it is spray insulation, blown insulation, or foil insulation, you can be guaranteed that they aid you in your problem when it comes to home temperature.