Buying a diamond engagement ring is truly a big step to take in any relationship. That is why you should get the perfect engagement ring. Since an engagement ring is usually worn by the bride-to-be, it should be a reflection of her personality and style. There are some basic things you need to know about buying diamond engagement rings. Below are some tips on how to purchase that perfect diamond engagement ring for your loved one.
- Find the perfect cut. The cut of the diamond does not refer to the shape of the diamond. The cut refers to the depth, the height and width of the jewel. You must make sure that all proportions are taken into consideration before you buy the ring.
- Find the perfect clarity. It is nearly impossible to find a diamond that is perfectly clear, but you should be able to find one that is not as cloudy and flawed. Choose the one that looks brilliant and clear when admired on your girl's hand. You should also find the diamond that is not yellowish in color. The more yellow the shade is, the less value the diamond holds.
- Carats are important too. Naturally, this is the first thing that you will consider when buying the diamond ring. As everyone knows, bigger carats will shine brighter, and will thus, be more expensive. If you are on a budget, then try to find a mid-sized carat, which won't be as flashy but is not too small.
- Choose the shape. This will depend on the preference of your girl. Most diamonds are cut into various shapes; you may choose the best shape that suits your woman's personality. You may opt to have it cut into the more popular shapes, such as oval, round, marquis, square, pear-shaped and the very romantic heart shape. Any shape will be perfect, so you don't have to worry about choosing the best shape.
- Decide on a setting. The setting is the pod in which the diamond will rest. You should choose a setting that will bring out the diamond, as it sits snugly against the band of the ring. You may choose a setting that lets the diamond jut out a bit, to make it appear a bit larger, or you may find one that lets the diamond lie flat on the band, so it won't keep on snagging on fabrics and other items. You may add stones in the setting if you want to add some sparkle to the engagement ring.
- Pick the metal. To complete the look, you must choose a material that is best suited for diamonds. Most couples choose gold (white gold or yellow gold) or platinum for the ring's band. Find one that will best suit the cut, design of the ring, and of course, your girlfriend's personal style.
You've just managed to pick out a beautiful diamond engagement ring. If you want to be extra sweet, you can have a message engraved into the band. You may have your names or a sweet message engraved as well. Make sure that the message is meaningful to both of you.