Hardwood floor requires extra care. And one way to care for it is to put casters on your furniture items. Furniture casters are installed beneath the furniture pieces so that you can wheel them to any destination without leaving marks, scratches, and dents on your hardwood floor. But not only do they serve as hardwood protection, they also make it a lot easier to move furniture items. Now, you don’t have to carry them from point A to point B. Remember, however, to be very wise when buying furniture casters. To help you, here is a guideline.
- Choose wheel furniture casters. There are basically two types of casters: wheels and sliders. Hardwood floor, however, will benefit more from wheels because unlike sliders, they won’t scratch your floor. Make sure to choose casters that are made of rubber, although polyurethane is also considered good for hardwood floors.
- Consider the furniture weight. When looking for furniture casters, the very first thing you need to do is to determine which kind of caster is ideal for the furniture weight. For example, if your furniture is bulky and heavy, consider buying dual-wheel casters. They distribute weight evenly and therefore can be used to easily move furniture. Your lightweight furniture, on the other hand, can do well with single-wheel casters. If, however, you see yourself moving a furniture item several times, buy ball-wheel casters. They promote movement and so are ideal in moving furniture to long distances.
- Take note of the wheel diameter. Wheel casters are available in different diameters. Some casters are two inches in diameter, while others are three inches. Still others have 2 3/8-inch diameter. Again, the size of furniture casters to use depends on the weight and size of your furniture. If you have big and heavy furniture, buy large furniture casters. Small casters are generally for small furniture items.
- Look for furniture casters in stores. Furniture casters are available in home improvement stores, furniture shops, and hardware stores. Look through their display and decide which casters are best for your furniture items and hardwood floor. Aside from brick-and-mortar stores, you can also buy furniture casters from online stores. They usually have online catalogs from which you can choose furniture casters. When you purchase online, however, make sure to understand the order and payment policies. And make sure to buy from a reputable online store.
- Get the help of the store assistant. Especially if this is your first time buying furniture casters, it is best to seek the advice or help of the store assistant. Simply tell the assistant what you are looking for and he can help you choose the casters that meet your requirements. Be extra discerning, though. There are some assistants who talk customers into buying expensive casters when in fact they can make do with less expensive but quality furniture casters.
Before heading to the stores or looking through online catalogs, make sure to do your research. Find out exactly what kind of casters that fits your needs and how much you are willing to spend.