Getting an overseas plumbing job is a great earning opportunity. Aside from the financial rewards, you get to experience a culture different from your own. If you have the necessary skills, try working overseas. To find a plumbing job overseas, here’s what you have to do.
- Get the right training and experience. Most, if not all, overseas plumbing opportunities require plumbers with formal training. They also have to possess a certain number of years training in the field of plumbing. Knowing how to change the faucet or fix the bidet is not enough. You need to go to a good technical, vocational or community college. Plumbing courses may take two years to complete. Some schools offer apprenticeship programs after completion. Get hired in a plumbing job that will put your technical knowledge to use. Plumbers should be certified and licensed. Make sure your papers are in order before you apply.
- Register with an employment agency. Find a company or several companies that supply manpower overseas. Placement agencies like ORSEC can help you find jobs in Europe, Asia, Middle East and other parts of the globe. Before you join any placement agency, ask what their requirements are and what fees need to be paid. You also have to be aware of what type of service the employment agency actually provides. In case you are asked to pay a fee, ask what happens if the agency is unable to find you a plumbing job. Read the advice of the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission below regarding placement agencies. There are many unscrupulous manpower agencies who take advantage of workers so be wary.
- Look for job sites online. Overseas job postings are easily found online. A quick search of plumbing jobs overseas will give you hundreds of options since career sites populate the web. You can also check business links and directories in various countries when looking for plumbing hobs. One site that posts jobs and vacancies in United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, and India is GulfJobSites. They also hire for other countries.
- Join a trade organization. Plumbers can become members of trade associations and organizations. These types of groups can help point you to the right employment opportunities.
- Ask around. Don’t forget to ask friends and family if they know of anyone who has worked as a plumber overseas. This person may be able to give you sound advice on how to find plumbing jobs abroad. Knowing someone who has worked overseas as a plumber or in a similar field is invaluable to your quest.
- Protect yourself. The Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau (BBB) has some advice to overseas job seekers.
- Always check the legitimacy of the employment agency with your
local consumer protection office or the BBB. Check for online reviews,
comments and complaints.
Never give the agency or job site your bank account number or
credit card information immediately. If it is required, ask what for and
only give the information if you agree to pay your fee via credit card
or through your bank.
Make sure you have a copy of your contract which you reviewed carefully before signing.
Always be suspicious with a company that promises you a job.
When looking for an overseas plumbing job, you need to arm yourself with the right education and experience. You can find jobs through employment agencies, online career sites as well as through trade organizations. There is an overseas plumbing job for you out there. Be patient and work with a credible employment firm.