If you love electronics and are handy with tools, you may want a career as a car stereo installer. It’s a great job to have since many people are looking for a good quality sound system for their vehicles. People are willing to pay top dollar to get it installed properly. You may also want to install a car stereo for your friends and make some extra money on the side.
If you want a career in this lucrative field, here’s how to get trained for car stereo installation.
- Have a GED or high school diploma. Most training programs require that you at least have a high school diploma or an equivalent. Even if you won’t get into this field, it’s still a good idea to get as much education as you can so you have many other options available to you. Be prepared to show proof, such as a copy of your transcripts if requested.
- Go to school. There are various vocational schools and training centers all over the country. You can go online and check what’s available in your area. You may also check with your school guidance counselor to discuss your options. Sometimes, you’ll also catch commercials on TV for different training centers. Check the newspaper. Call the school and find out the requirements. There’s usually no entrance exam to go to these classes. You’ll only need to fill out the necessary application form, present your identification and pay the tuition.
- Get a certification. Get a Mobile Electronics Certification Program or MECP. This is another avenue for you to approach your training. Go online to find schools in your area that offer this certification. If you are certified, it may be easier for you to get employed.
- Mentor from someone. A great way to learn from how to become a car stereo installer is to get someone else to teach you. Offer to be a helper or an apprentice. You may not get paid but you will learn skills that you can use for life. There’s nothing like hands on training on the job to learn what you need. Also, most people learn better in an actual environment rather than from a classroom setting.
- Train on the job. Apply as a trainee at auto shops and car stereo dealerships. You can try Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and other electronics stores. You’ll be paid considerably less than someone who has been fully trained but think of it as a temporary situation only until you get the proper credentials and know how.
- Learn on your own. Another avenue of learning you can take is to self-study. Borrow books and learning manuals from the library. You may also go online and check any how-to videos and information pages available for you to download. You must have some working knowledge of the terms and technical equipment to be able to understand what is being discussed.
Do what you can to learn how to become a car stereo installer. The more experience you have handling the equipment and doing the job, the better you will get at it.