Many doctors and mothers are now convinced that breastmilk is best for babies. Often you can feel the pressure soon after you give birth. Relax, you were given a baby and you will be given what you need to care for her – including breastmilk. You just need a few tips and guidelines.
- Encourage your baby to latch on as often as possible. The best way to stimulate milk production is skin-to-skin contact with your baby. The more often she drinks from you, the more your body will naturally produce milk. It may take some practice but if she latches on properly, you would not have a problem. This also means breastfeeding in public. Make sure you have a nursing cover with you.
- Drink plenty of fluids. After or even during breastfeeding you will feel thirsty. Have a bottle of water with you when you are out. The minimum requirement for the average adult is 8 glasses of water. Since you are breastfeeding, you will need more. Drinking milk, fruit juices and shakes will also help.
- Include soup in every meal. Liquid intake in any form will boost your milk production. A nice warm bowl of soup taken twice a day will make it easy for your body to convert your meals to the much needed breastmilk for your baby.
- Include clam soup in your diet. It has been known to many Asian mothers that clams boiled and served in soup stimulate breastmilk production. These tasty clams can be found in your local grocery. Buy them fresh to get the most nutrients.
- Eat the vegetable moringa oleifera. This can be added to practically any meal you prepare whether it is in your soup, salad or pasta. This vegetable has several benefits not just for breastfeeding mothers, but also for anyone who wants to strengthen his immune system. It is also available in tea bags, which you can enjoy hot or cold. Capsules are available for convenience and you can take it as often as you wish without any side effects.
- Take vitamins and supplements. You need to take care of your health. Technically, you are still eating for two. Keeping up with your newborn is very demanding and can take its toll on your health. These days, eating healthy may not be enough. Taking vitamins and supplements will give you what your body needs and what your baby needs. Fenugreek is another supplement known to increase breastmilk production. You can also take this without worrying about any side effects since it is a natural herb.
- Express milk often. It can take much of your time, but expressing milk will trigger more milk production. Do not worry about not having enough milk for the next feeding. Your body will naturally replenish milk when it knows there is no more.
- Express milk on one breast while your baby is latched on the other breast. If you have twins, you may breastfeed at the same time. If you have one nursing child, you can stimulate more milk production by letting your body feel that you are nursing twins. Your body will produce more and you can even store the expressed breastmilk for future consumption.
The best you can do is to enjoy breastfeeding your child. When you are calm and not pressured to produce breastmilk, your child will know when she latches on. Your body will be more cooperative too. Do not walk around, but instead settle down when you breastfeed and cherish the moment together with your child.