Pot roast is an easy and delicious meal that you can prepare for your family. Knowing how to cook pot roast the right way is crucial if you want to end up with a tender and sumptuous dish. Below is the recipe for a traditional pot roast that you can cook at home. Follow the steps to learn how to make this dish.
- Ingredients to prepare. The ingredients that you need to prepare for this dish are chuck roast, potatoes, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper for seasoning and an onion. Make sure that you purchase the freshest meat from the market.
- Prepare the ingredients. You need about 4 pounds of chuck roast for this recipe. Wash, peel and dice 3 medium sized potatoes and 2 big carrots. Slice an onion in lengths and mince about 5 cloves of garlic. You will need a skillet and a crock pot for cooking.
- Season the chuck roast. Season the chuck roast pieces. Make sure that you generously cover the surface. Rub with salt and pepper using your hands. Season the sides of the chuck roast too.
- Cook the chuck roast. Prepare a large skillet and add some peanut oil. Heat the oil in high heat. When it is heated, adjust the temperature to medium. Place the chuck roast in the skillet and cook it for about 2 minutes on each side. Do not worry if the chuck roast is not yet fully cooked since you will still cook it later on.
- Continue cooking. After browning the chuck roast, set it aside on a plate for a while. Heat up the skillet where you cooked the chuck roast and add a cup of water. While heating, scrape the bottom of the skillet to get the flavor from the chuck roast. This will make your pot roast dish more flavorful. Afterwards, add the water in a crock pot. Add the onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots and the chuck roast to the crock pot. Season with more salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to low and then cook the pot roast for about 2 hours or until the chuck roast is tender.
- Serve the pot roast. When the pot roast is ready, scoop out the vegetables from the crock pot and set them aside. Get the chuck roast and slice it up in thin pieces or half an inch width. You will see that the pot roast is tender and juicy inside. You no longer need the water from the crock pot. Place the sliced chuck roast on your serving dish and add the vegetables on the side. You can serve this together with mashed potatoes.
These are the steps in making the traditional tender pot roast. You can change the ingredients of the vegetables that you cook with the pot roast according to your liking. You can also season the meat with spices and herbs to change the taste. Try other types of meat aside from chuck roast for this recipe. You can use brisket, top or bottom round and the rump.