Selling antiques is a way you can make money. Not only are collectors willing to buy, anyone who has a home and wants something interesting for their living space may be inclined to buy an antique. Whether it is a decorative item such as an antique lamp, or a piece of furniture, there is money to be made in selling antiques.
Here’s what you can do to get this done.
- Educate yourself. Aside from making visual observations of an item, try to learn how to tell an authentic antique. You may borrow books from the library so you can learn what details to look for. You may also want to talk to an antique dealer so you can learn a bit about the business. The more you know, the easier you will be able to distinguish items of value.
- Check your home. To get started, you need to have some old pieces. Items that are about forty to fifty years old are considered antiques. Oftentimes, you may not even realize that something is an antique. However, if you go around your home and you have some piece that you bought at flea markets or inherited from your grandmother, chances are, it’s an antique.
- Check garage sales. Once you’re done going around your immediate surroundings, go out and look for some pieces that you feel will sell easily. You can try flea markets, garage sales and estate sales. Make sure the items are in good condition. If the item needs only a little elbow grease, that’s ok, but if it needs to have major parts replaced, pass it up.
- Restore the condition of the item. Clean the item properly when you acquire it. If the item is wood furniture, give it a good polish. For jewelry, soak the item in some water and baking soda and scrub with an old toothbrush. When something looks clean, it looks better and may sell for a better price.
- Consign the piece. One way to make money off antiques is to sell the item at an antique shop. Go to a proprietor and consign the piece you want to sell. This way, you won’t have an overhead. Give a base price for the item so that the seller can keep the excess.
- Put it up on eBay. Another way to can start making money is to place the item for bidding on eBay or other online sites. If you’re going via the Internet, take good pictures of the product with a clean white background. Provide as much detail on the item as possible, such as the estimated era of the item, the maker and indicate any special marking on the item.
- Auction the item. You can also sell the item at auction houses. This is especially great for pricier pieces such as jewelry and other more valuable items. If you sell the item at an auction, you may be able to fetch a better price for it. However, the item will be extensively scrutinized before you can sell it to authenticate it.
There’s money to be made in old stuff. Go around and look at your furnishings and accessories with new eyes! You may be literally sitting on a gold mine and not know it!