Pretzels are very popular snacks for kids. Aside from the famous knot-like shape, these are also available in other shapes and sizes. You can make these at home with your whole family. Your kids will definitely enjoy shaping these yummy snacks on their own. If you want the shape to be different from the usual knot-shape, you can make soft pretzel twists. Making these is like braiding your hair. If you have little girls, they will surely enjoy making these.
Here are the steps on how to make soft pretzel twists.
- Get the things that you will need in making soft pretzel twists. These are warm milk (2 cups), vegetable shortening (1/2 cup), salt (2 teaspoon), sesame seed, baking powder (1 teaspoon), yeast (2 packages, active dry), baking soda (3 tablespoon), warm water (1/2 cup), all purpose flour (7 ½ cup) and sugar (1/2 cup). You can also use coarse salt instead of sesame seeds. You will also need wooden spoon and parchment paper.
- Make the dough for your soft pretzels twists. Get a large bowl and add warm water (1/2 cup) and yeast (2 packages, active dry). Leave the mixture for about 5 minutes. The mixture will turn foamy. After 5 minutes, put warm milk (2 cups) and sugar (1/2 cup). Next, add vegetable shortening (1/2 cup) then flour (2 cups) to the ingredients on the bowl. Get your wooden spoon and mix the ingredients well. Get a plastic wrap and cover the bowl with the dough ingredients. Leave this for half an hour to rise. After 30 minutes, you will see that the size of the dough mixture is doubled.
- Mix other ingredients to the dough mixture. Get another bowl and put flour (1 cup) then add baking powder (1 teaspoon) and salt (2 teaspoon). Mix the ingredients well. Add this to the dough mixture and mix thoroughly. Continue mixing while gradually adding flour until the dough is ready for shaping.
- Shape dough. Put some flour on the surface where you will be kneading the dough. Knead the dough so that you can easily shape your pretzels. Put some oil in a bowl so you can coat your dough with oil. Once done coating, dampen a towel and use this to cover the dough. Leave it for half an hour and you will see that the size doubles again. Prepare the baking sheets by putting parchment paper on top of these. After 30 minutes, you can now start shaping your pretzels. Roll the dough so you can make several strips. Get 3 strips and braid these like you braid hair. You can then pinch the ends of the strips to seal your pretzels twist. Make more of these and let your kids help in braiding the strips. Aside from the pretzels twists, you can also make other shapes using your dough.
- Bake pretzels. Turn on the oven and set temperature to 400 degrees. Get a pot and put 2 quarts of water mixed with 3 tablespoons of baking soda and boil. Put the pretzels on the boiling water and remove after 10 seconds. Put these on the baking sheet that you prepared earlier, sprinkle with sesame seeds then bake on the preheated oven. This will take about 15 minutes to cook. You will know that the pretzels are done when these turn golden brown.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the pretzels to cool.
Once cool, you can serve these to the whole family and enjoy the soft
pretzels twists that you baked.