Part of aging is diminishing skin elasticity. As you age, you will notice that your skin is no longer as firm as it was years ago. Laugh lines can form around the corners of your eyes. Exposure to the sun as well as your genes can also cause these skin imperfections.
Although you cannot totally stop laugh lines from appearing on your skin, you can minimize them. Here are a few tips and tricks.
- Apply makeup on the laugh lines. The easiest way to hide your laugh lines is through make up. When properly applied, a good concealer, foundation and setting powder can minimize your laugh lines. Make sure to buy cosmetic products that match your skin tone.
- Try over-the-counter creams. There are some skin creams that boast of being able to diminish laugh lines. Read about these products on the internet and see what users have to say. Choose the product that has the best reviews and try it out for a couple of weeks.
- Undergo chemical peels. A chemical peel is a non-surgical method of removing laugh lines. The type of chemical your dermatologist will use on your laugh lines will depend on your needs. Alpha hydroxyl acid is used to minimize the fine lines as it rejuvenates your skin. Trichoroacetic acid improves both the texture and the pigmentation of your skin. The former is considered a superficial peel while the later is a medium peel. For more noticeable results, there is a deeper chemical peel. It is longer lasting.
- Try skin resurfacing treatments. This type of treatment is also non-surgical. Microdermabrasion is done using a special tool. This tool removes the layers of the skin that are damaged bringing out fresher and younger looking skin. Go to a highly regarded dermatologist for this type of treatment because when not done right, it can lead to scarring.
- Explore laser treatment. Skin resurfacing can be done using laser technology. The skin’s top layer is removed in order to take out the laugh lines. But just like microdermabrasion, there are risks in undergoing this procedure. Make sure you understand the procedure fully and consult with a well regarded dermatologist.
- Consider BOTOX. Many people speak highly of BOTOX treatments. This kind of skin treatment is used on wrinkles on the face. A solution of botulism is injected right under the skin where the laugh lines are located. It paralyzes the facial muscles in that area resulting in a smoother skin surface. Compared to the other dermatological options above, BOTOX treatment is fast and usually inexpensive. But be aware that BOTOX treatment is a quick fix. It should be repeated every 3-6 months if you want to keep the laugh lines off your face.
- Go for cosmetic surgery. This is the more drastic option. However, if you have the money and the time, the results of cosmetic surgery are fantastic. Look for a highly qualified plastic surgeon to walk you through the procedure. The plastic surgeon will tell you whether you need a simple brow lift or a total face lift. The severity of the laugh lines will determine what type of surgery needs to be done.
The appearance of laugh lines on your face is inevitable. When this type of wrinkling starts to appear, decide on which particular method of minimizing them you want to try. Go with the one that not only diminishes your laugh lines but one that you can afford and maintain for a longtime. In the meantime, eat healthy, exercise right, avoid stress, excessive drinking and smoking. A healthy lifestyle can keep laugh lines at bay.