The Procion MX fabric dye is a kind of fiber reactive dye which is known world-wide for its versatility. A Procion mix can almost blur vision because of its brightness. It is perfect for making eye-catching tie-dyed shirts.
Here are some steps that you could follow in mixing Procion MX fabric dye.
- Observe proper safety precaution. Read the labels of the dye, and follow closely the instructions regarding safety in using and mixing it. Usually mixing Procion MX fabric dyes would require wearing plastic pair of gloves and a face mask. Sometimes a respirator is also needed. This is because reactive dyes are extremely detrimental to the lungs if inhaled. It is very crucial to wear proper facial gear before working with this kind of dyes. This is especially true if you are dealing with the powdered forms. Also reactive dyes color the hands for a day or two. Though it is not permanent, its mere contact and exposure may have problematic effects on the skin.
- Measure warm water amounting to half a graduated cup. Determine the size of the dye bath you intend to use. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions on how much dye will be used for that amount. A simple ratio you can follow is the one-to-one ratio: one teaspoon of dye is enough for one gallon of water. But still, try some adjustments depending on the color of your choice. Usually the warmer the color, the more difficult it will be to dissolve and mix.
- Get a pan with a lid. It has to be flat and steady. Put both the warm water and dye into the pan. Stir both of the ingredients together using a teaspoon. If there are lumps, crush them with the teaspoon. Continue stirring until you have achieved a thickened paste-like consistency. In case you are having too much difficulty in dissolving and mixing the dye, add warm water into the pan. Go with a little amount at a time.
- Replace the lid of the container or the pan. Handle it securely with your hands. Shake it as hard as you can. Observe a safe distance between your body and the shaking container. Also keep it away from objects, as the dye might spill.
- If you plan to mix the several dyes to form specific hues, then consult the various color charts available online for accurate combinations. An example of which is the Jacquard Products' Procion MX Dye Mixing Chart, which presents an accurate table of how to achieve the color of your choice. It even provides the amount of the dyes that you need to mix.
- Read online dye forums and learn from the discussions. These online forums are frequently visited by people who hold much interest and knowledge about mixing Procion MX fabric dyes. Aside from learning a lot from previous posts, it is also an appropriate avenue for your inquiries. More likely, you will meet an expert here who can guide you through the project.
Experience will help you a lot in the future. You will learn a lot from trial and error. Keep an accurate record of your mixing projects, too. Then consult your notes for new projects.