A microwave oven makes our lives more convenient. This is the best item to use in the kitchen when you are in a hurry and you want to cook food. Microwaves are not only for cooking. You can also use it to thaw food and heat liquids. It is important that you know how to operate a microwave oven properly so that you can get the most out of it. Find out how to do this by reading a few simple tips.
- Study your microwave. Microwave ovens come in different models. Some are operated with buttons while others use knobs. Consult the user’s manual of your microwave oven to see how yours operates. You should also be aware of the cooking time or heating time when you are preparing something so that you do not overcook or burn the food. Overcooking in the microwave oven can cause fires.
- Containers and wraps. Before using the microwave, make sure that your food items are placed in a microwave safe container. If you are not sure about your container, do not use it in the microwave oven. For plastic containers, there is usually a sign at the bottom that it is microwave safe. Check first before using. In some cases, recipes will require you to cover the food before placing it in the microwave. Use microwave safe plastic wrap and poke some holes on the wrap or leave a portion lifted so that the heat from the food can escape.
- Using the microwave. Open the door of the microwave and place the food inside at the center of the microwave plate. Close the door and punch in the desired cooking time. Make sure that you follow the recipe to the letter. You can also adjust the heat to low, medium or high. Do not set the microwave for long periods of time. It is better to heat in increments for safety. When you start the microwave, stand a few feet away from it since the radiation can be bad for your health.
- Remove food. After the cooking time, you can already remove the food from the microwave. Be careful since the container can be hot. You can use oven mitts to remove the contents inside. In some cases, the container will not be as hot but the food will be extremely hot. Allow the food to cool for a while before eating.
- Clean the microwave. Clean the microwave oven after using, especially if you are heating up sauces that might have splattered. If the plate is removable, wash it with soap and water and then allow it to dry completely before returning it into the microwave. Another thing you can do is to mix 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice with a cup of water. Place this in a microwave safe container and heat in the microwave on high setting until it boils. Afterwards, allow it to sit in the microwave for about 5 minutes. Remove it from the oven and wipe the surfaces and sides with a clean kitchen towel.
Do not operate your microwave oven if you suspect that something is wrong with it.