The summer season signals the time to buy a swimsuit so you can work on your tan and hit the beach. There are many designs and styles to choose from, so you can look sensational even if you don’t have a perfect body. If you choose the right suit, you can look thinner and sexier even if you haven’t hit the gym in weeks.
Today’s swimsuits are made with hi tech fabric that can help camouflage, conceal, lift, tighten and help you look like a million dollars on the beach. Whether you’re petite, plus sized, small busted or have a full figure, there’s a perfect swimsuit for your body. The secret is to learn to choose the right one for you.
- Know your body type. Emphasize the best features of your body and draw attention away from your other parts. If you have long legs, accentuate them with a high cut bikini. If you have a boyish frame, choose a bathing suit with cutouts to help create the illusion of curves.
- Try on as many pairs as possible. You won’t know how it will look on you unless you put it on. Jump, stretch, bend forward and squat when you try on the suit so you can tell if it is providing you with ample coverage and if it fits right.
- Try on different sizes. Choose a different size bikini top from your bottom if your bottom is larger than your chest area.
- Get a top with detailing to increase your bustline. If you have a small bust, look for a top with ruffles, runching or a padded underwire cup to help create the illusion of a fuller top. A bandeau style bikini top will also be flattering to you. Get a push up halter bra style suit. Avoid straps that are too thick. On the other hand, if you need to minimize your bust area, go for a v-neckline to accentuate your cleavage. The bikini top has to fit like a bra in that it gives you ample support as you move about.
- Get a swimsuit with reinforced support if you have a heavy midsection. If you have a thick waist, buy a suit with a minimizer in the tummy area. A malliot style suit will also create corset like support if you need a bit of shaping.
- Choose a tankini if you want a bikini with coverage. A tankini is a good option for hiding a tummy.
- Check that nothing spills out. Check that your breasts are well supported. Your back fat shouldn’t roll from the back of your suit. Your butt cheeks should be well covered by your bottom. If you have a heavy bottom, choose a slightly skirted suit. Try board shorts with a bikini top to balance your proportions. Avoid a boy cut leg if you have wide hips and thighs, as this will cut you off on the widest portion of your body.
- Choose vertical or diagonal stripes. Avoid looking wider by staying away from horizontal stripes. The most flattering designs will be vertical lines since these give the illusion of a longer torso, or diagonal lines, since this diverts the eye to create the illusion of curves.
Bring a friend with you when you try on a suit to get an unbiased option. You’ll know you have the perfect suit when you feel great, look good and feel confident in what you are wearing.