Color can create a mood or feeling in a room. With the right use and combination of colors, you can create a space that is comfortable, aesthetically pleasing and relaxing. When choosing colors for your space, decide on a primary color scheme that will be reflected in your room. However, a popular trend is to paint one wall in the room a different color so it can be treated as an accent wall.
Using the right color on an accent wall will help draw the eye towards the wall. An accent wall will help create a more dramatic space in any room. Oftentimes, the accent wall has no windows or doors, which is why color can be an excellent choice to liven it up.
- Determine the accent wall. Break up the room into segments so you can decide which wall you want to feature as the accent wall. In a living room, it can be the wall where the fireplace is located or where the entertainment center is placed. In a bedroom, it can be the wall where the beds are set or an opposite wall.
- Evaluate the colors already used in the room. Take a look at the color palette you are already using in the space. Choose one of the colors from your selection. Your accent wall doesn’t have to be painted in the dominant color in the room.
- Go with a complementary color. Choose a color that is opposite the predominant color in the color wheel. Or, choose a color that is used in a subtle manner in the rest of the room. For example, if your room is primarily in reds, maroons and browns, try a hunter green accent wall. You can also use beige or white paint on your accent wall. On the other hand, if the room is primarily in neutral colors, try a cornflower blue or a bold red.
- Assess the overall feel or look of the room. What look are you trying to achieve in the room? Do you want to make the space into a calm ocean side theme escape? If so, choose from blue, green or beige as an accent color. If you want to create a modern space, a red or a yellow wall will make a dramatic accent wall.
- Choose a color you like. When choosing an accent wall color, go with something you like seeing on a daily basis. If you’re not partial to red, don’t pick it. This is a color that will draw your eye and catch your attention so it should be something that you enjoy seeing.
Work with an interior designer if you have trouble selecting your color palette. Use different color swatches from the paint store so you can sample it in your home. If you paint your accent wall and realize that you don’t like it, change it and paint it a different shade later on. Because it’s an accent wall, you won’t have to spend much on paint. Use color wisely and watch your accent wall pop!