The Sims 2 is the sequel to the critically acclaimed and highly successful Sims video game. Sims 2 continues on with the role-playing simulation type game where players are allowed to create virtual people or avatars called Sims, directing them around like puppets. A player can build an entire house or village full of Sims that he can control and build up on.
Sims 2 Pets is the highly favored expansion pack that introduces virtual pets to the game. With this add-on, players can now add pets that their Sims can take care off. The add-on provides limitless possibilities as well such as owning a pet store and taking care of a house full of cats, dogs, and other exotic animals.
- Install the expansion pack. In order to play the game, you will need to have the main game, Sims 2, installed on your gaming console of choice. Technically, Sims 2 can be played on virtually any video gaming console, be it a PC, a MAC, the PS3, the XBOX 360, the Nintendo Wii, or the PSP. If you have this game installed, insert the expansion pack CD and load the add-ons to the main game.
- Start with manageable pets. The introduction of pets into the game seems very straightforward and simple. However, certain consequences will arise if the pet you get is not cared for properly. Hence, if you were playing this expansion pack for the first time, it would be wise to keep it simple first. Get a pet that won’t need a lot of maintenance. For instance, getting a fish or a bird for a pet is relatively easy to manage since it will be contained in either a fishbowl or cage, allowing you to merely ensure that the pet is fed. Getting a dog or a cat may pose challenges for you since its maintenance is considerably higher than a fish or a bird. Apart from feeding, you will be required to walk and exercise the pet as well as provide enough attention to it on a daily basis.
- Assuming that you purchased a fish, it would come in either an aquarium or a fishbowl. Place it inside your house and have your primary Sim move towards it. Click on the item and select “Stock” from the options. At this point, you will be able to customize your pet and its housing further in exchange for money.
- Consider designing a pet. If you have enough Sims funds, you can design and customize your very own pet through the family creation tab. There should be an easy to find option that will allow you to design a pet. Click on it and start designing.
- Adopt a pet. If your primary Sim does not have enough funds to purchase a pet, you can have him contact the adoption agency for pets via phone. Choose a pet from their selection and see if it warms up to you. If it does, you can adopt the pet for free and start caring for it.
The option of owning and managing a pet store is also available in the game provided that you have enough money to buy or breed enough pets to sell, can purchase the land for the store, and build the store’s structure.