Turmeric powder comes from Curcuma longa plant root. It is known as Haldi in India and it is famous the world over because it can be use as herbal treatment and food spice. Below are steps and guides on how to prepare turmeric powder.
- What you need to make turmeric powder. You need disposable gloves, turmeric root, large cooking pot, potato peeler, rock or hammer, pestle, mortar or electric food processor, fine sieve and glass jar with lid.
- Wear disposable gloves. It will secure your hands from stain. Turmeric has high color content. The stain may remain on your hands for a week.
- Boil your turmeric root. Boil it for 30-45 minutes in a pot filled with fresh water. The boiling procedure is known as curing. The process will make the root softer so you can grind it easily. It will enhance its color and flavor as well.
- Peel the turmeric root’s outside layer. Use a potato peeler to peel it off. Slice the root into long pieces, 2-inches each.
- Dry your turmeric root. Don’t put it where it’ll catch direct sunlight. Put it in a ventilated location. Put the roots in a shady location if you’ll dry it outdoors. Direct sunlight exposure will make the turmeric color fade. Dry the turmeric root 1 week or more. It is thoroughly dry if it has no moisture signs and if its roots harden.
- Break-up the turmeric root. Use a hammer or stone to break it up into lentil-size parts.
- Grind the turmeric roots. Use an electric food processor, pestle or mortar to powder the turmeric roots.
- Strain the turmeric powder. Use a fine filter to separate huge turmeric root chunks. Grind the remaining chunks.
- Store your turmeric powder. Put it in a glass canister that has a tight lid. Store it in a place where it won’t catch direct sunlight. It can last for two years it is properly shelved. To save money, find empty mayonnaise or peanut butter jars and clean it to use as storage.
- Health care benefits of turmeric powder. It offers a lot in the medicine world. It can be use as a fat-burning element and digestion aid, cancer-risk reduction, and Alzheimer’s disease remedy among others. It is also used as an ingredient in beauty products and it can heal minor health discomforts like tooth ache.
- Examples of best turmeric recipes. Some of them are sweet pumpkin palya, chicken liver curry, potol dolma in mustard sauce, okra curry, cauliflower curry, aloo paratha, Thai style shrimp, palak paneer, and Burmese monkish curry among others.
- Practice one recipe until you’ve mastered it. Consult cookbooks or search the Internet to learn proper cooking procedures. Try other recipes if you’ve tasted success. Try to innovate because you can create myriads of palatable dishes through turmeric. Just note your cooking procedures and proportions for you to repeat your masterpiece easily.
- Tips in preparing turmeric. If you’re hectic, then buy turmeric powder in your local grocery shop. You can purchase it as a fresh root or powder form. However, chefs and health practitioners prefer newly grounded turmeric because it is much colorful, flavorful, and it offers better health benefits. You can also use it as skin and clothes dye.
Learn the benefits of turmeric and other spices. Try to live organically
so you can be healthier and fitter. Turmeric is a great way to start.