As men grow old, their prostate ages and can get into medical complications. One of the conditions that can affect the prostate is enlargement. Medically termed as benign prostatic hyperplasia, this condition can give men a feeling of discomfort especially when urinating. If you are about to enter your forties, you need to consider ways to prevent prostate enlargement, through diet. Here’s how.
- Drink up. Start by increasing your water intake. Increasing your water intake means that you will be able to urinate more. The more urine you produce, the more diluted the bacteria that naturally lives in urine will become. This means that there will be fewer chances of getting urinary tract infections. Urinary tract infections can also cause prostate enlargement, especially because the prostate gland is connected to the urinary tract. Make sure that you drink at least eight to ten glasses of water each day, depending on your body size and your level of physical activity. Try to drink plain, distilled water, instead of drinking soda.
- Increase your urine acidity. Next, you should also work on increasing the acidity in your urine. Acidity in urine may seem negative, but in reality this also means that your urine will become more hostile against bacteria. This means that you will decrease your chances of getting urinary tract infections because the acidic nature of your urine and your urinary tract will prevent bacteria from thriving. The best way to increase your urine acidity is by drinking plenty of cranberry juice, which naturally has high levels of acid.
- Eat fish. Next, incorporate more sea food items into your diet. Seafood is not only composed of lean meats which have less fats and less cholesterol, but seafood also has vast amounts of omega-3 fatty acids. These are good fats that will not clog your arteries, but will help to prevent inflammation in your prostate gland. The fatty acids are also great for your heart, since it also prevents the heart from getting inflamed. If you do not have access to fish that you can include in your diet, consider getting omega-3 fatty acids from capsules and supplements. These are equally effective.
- Eat fruits. Vitamins will naturally help to boost your immune system and help to strengthen your prostate gland. Make sure that you eat as much fruits and vegetables as you can. Instead of feasting on pastries as dessert, simply take some slices of fruit to wash down your dinner or lunch. Fruits are not only tasty and nutritious, but they are also relatively inexpensive. Plus, they are also rich in fibers which will help to eliminate waste stuck in your digestive tract.
- Minimize fats and sugars. Finally, make sure that you minimize your fat and sugar intake. Too many fats in your diet will not only affect your heart and your arteries, but can also make your prostate bloated and puffy. Sugar can also make your prostate very bloated.
With these steps, you should be able to minimize your risk of getting an enlarged prostate without doing anything but modifying your diet. Be sure, however, that you still get your prostate examination once a year once you reach the age of forty.