Even with the most high-tech ways of conducting visual presentations, sometimes, you will still need to go back to using transparencies. Before the advent of presentation software, advanced projectors and screens, clear transparencies and markers where used when giving presentations. Using a standard photocopier, you can transfer text and graphics onto clear transparencies. To project whatever is on the transparencies you need to use an overhead projector aimed at a blank wall or a light colored screen.
Today, you can use your inkjet printer in printing transparencies. It is a simple process, which can be done in a few minutes. Follow these steps in using your inkjet printer in printing transparencies for your next presentation.
- Purchase transparency paper. Also called transparency film, this type of paper is made of transparent plastic material. You can buy this from office supply stores. Online stores also sell transparency paper. Check the transparency paper you want to purchase to make sure that it can be used for your particular inkjet printer.
- Prepare the text or graphics. You can practically transfer any text or image unto the transparency paper. You can transfer text, graphics, presentations and worksheets. Use the software you need to create whatever you wish to appear on transparencies. Don’t forget to save your afterwards.
- Load the blank transparencies into the printer. After creating the material to be transferred unto transparencies, load the transparency papers into the printer tray of your inkjet printer. The clear side should face the direction of the arrows of your printer. Turn on your printer.
- Access the print command. Click on the Print command, which is usually under the File menu. Next, look for the command that will allow you to change your printer preferences or options. Change the paper type to transparency. Next, change the orientation of your printout from portrait to landscape. When printing transparencies, landscape is a better option because this is the orientation of overhead projectors. You can also change the print quality if necessary. Depending on the type of printer you have, you can choose Normal, Best or even Fast Draft. If there are other changes to the printer settings that need to be done, do it now.
- Commence printing. Once you have set up your printer to print the way you want it to, click OK until the printer starts printing. As the printer finishes a page, remove the transparency from the printer and place it on a flat surface. Allow the ink to dry a few minutes. Never allow another transparency paper or any other paper to go on top of a newly printed transparency. Otherwise, smudges or smears can appear.
- Before actually printing the transparency, it would be good to preview what the page will look like if you print it. This way, if you need to make any changes, you can do so prior to executing the actual print command. Transparency paper is expensive so use it wisely.
- Check your inkjet printer manual for any suggestions and warnings on printing on transparency paper.
You can print your presentations, text, graphics and all on transparency paper easily. No need for fancy materials and complicated machines. Inkjet printers are built to print on different types of paper, including transparency paper. Make sure to buy the right transparency paper for your printer. Once printed, protect your transparencies in plastic sleeves or by sandwiching them between regular papers.