How you keep your nails tells something about yourself. Clean nails reflect a clean person. Getting a manicure and pedicure helps you have clean nails. Part of having one is that your cuticles are pushed back gently and may or may not be cut off. Cuticles are the skin that edge the borders of the nail. Take care of your cuticles by trimming it but not too much that it may get infected. Here is a guide on how to take care of your nails.
- Items you will need. You will need some alcohol, a pusher, a nipper, a small bowl that you can dip your nails into, some warm, soapy water, a small towel, lotion and a bottle of cuticle remover. Alcohol is needed to sterilize the pusher and nipper. This is important as you can get an infection while cleaning your nails.
- Wash and soap your hands. It is important to always start off with clean hands. It also softens the skin at the same time.
- Prepare a small bowl of warm, soapy water. This water will be used for you to dip your nails into for soaking. Soaking also softens the cuticles before you work on them. Soak your nails for about 5 minutes or more. When you are done, gently dry them with a small towel.
- Brush some cuticle remover. Apply some cuticle remover on to the nails in one hand. Continue to do this for each nail as you work from one nail to the other. Putting cuticle remover to the base and sides of the nail softens your cuticles making it easier for you to push back with an orange stick, stone or metal pusher.
- Push back your cuticles. With a pusher of your choice, hold the pusher at an angle facing your cuticle. Gently push back your cuticles going to the base of the nail, one by one. Don’t forget to push back on both sides of the nail as well. Keep applying cuticle remover on the cuticles that you have not worked on so they continue to soften until you get to work on it. If it is too hard for you to push back, then it may mean that your cuticles are not soft yet. Do not rush pushing back your cuticles and do not use too much force in pushing it back. You are likely to get hurt and might bleed.
- Rinse your hands. With soap, wash your hands thoroughly to remove any cuticle remover left on your hands.
- Use a nipper. You will use a nipper just to cut off any nail or cuticle sticking out. Otherwise, if you are not familiar with it, you may just injure yourself by cutting too deep on the cuticle or the nail itself. Your finger will swell up and pus will form. So if you don’t know how to use one, put it off. Also, refrain from biting off cuticles. If you bite it at an incorrect angle, it will just leave you with more pain.
- Apply lotion. Massage some lotion onto your hands after. You can also pick up some cuticle cream at the store and rub it onto your cuticles for maintenance. It will keep your cuticles soft for your next cleaning.
Repeat this procedure and make it a habit to push back your cuticles once or twice a week. This is part of cuticle care. You’ll have nice looking hands in no time.