How To Recognize the Side Effects of Biofreeze Pain Reliever

Biofreeze is one of the most frequently used and highly recommended pain reliever products in the market today and has been so for the past 15 years. It comes in gel, roll-on, or spray form. Many chiropractors, massage therapists, physical therapists, and other professionals in the field swear by the effectiveness of this product in temporarily relieving pains and discomforts caused by muscle strains, arthritis, tendonitis, neck and back pains, and bursitis, among others. Biofreeze contains ILEX, which is extracted from the holly shrub of South America which works hand in hand with the product’s analgesic content. Biofreeze does not have any lingering scent and does not stain clothing when applied, nor does it leave a greasy feeling like other products do. However, as in any form of medication, the correct use of Biofreeze is important to avoid certain side effects that could happen from prolonged application or its improper use. The following are some of the side effects of Biofreeze.

  • Allergic reactions. There are two ingredients in the product that some users may be allergic to – menthol, which is a compound from peppermint oil and can produce mild anesthetic effects, and camphor, another chemical compound that contains antiseptic properties. If you notice rashes or other skin irritations on your skin after using the Biofreeze, you may very well be allergic to the product. You must consult your physician to know for sure what is causing your allergy and how it can be avoided. You may also try soaking the affected area in water and baking soda for a couple of minutes. Again, if the rash persists, you will need to see a doctor for proper treatment.
  • Other ailments that may be caused by Biofreeze. Prolonged use of Biofreeze has been reported to cause headaches, nausea, and vomiting. Other symptoms could include shortness of breath, coughing, and fever. Although a few people have experienced chest pains, it cannot completely be pointed out to the product because this particular symptom is quite rare and may be caused by other medical conditions in the body.
  • Poisoning. Biofreeze is not meant to be ingested but to be applied on areas of the body that are experiencing pain. The most active component of the product is menthol, which is toxic especially when swallowed in large amounts. It is therefore necessary to keep the product and other medications away from the reach of young children who may take it in accidentally and could get poisoned in the process. You must also avoid having the product come into contact with your eyes or mucous membranes.

Biofreeze is a very good product that performs its function as a pain reliever very well. More and more people have benefited from it in terms of easing away a lot of the aches and pains they may be experiencing in various parts of their bodies. The side-effects are few and can be prevented by using the product the way it is meant to be used. If you should begin to feel something out of the ordinary when applying Biofreeze, it is always best to consult your physician and find out exactly what is wrong and what you are supposed to do about it.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: