Having kitchen cabinets in your kitchen is very important and useful. It is where you could store away the things that you use around the kitchen and it also adds beauty to the kitchen’s ambiance.
Unfortunately, when this kitchen cabinets get worn out, they becomes an eyesore. No matter how clean your kitchen is you’ll always be bothered by the look of your worn out cabinets.
You’d probably want to get these kitchen cabinets fixed but then it could get very expensive. That is why if you are decided to get these cabinets fixed but you’re on a tight budget then your best alternative is to refinish these kitchen cabinets by yourself.
- Evaluate the condition of your kitchen cabinets. It is best to know how much repair you need to do. Check the cabinets for wood problems like wood rot and see which parts you need to replace.
- Detach your cabinet doors and shelves. Be careful in removing these doors and cabinets since you wouldn’t want to add any damage to it. It would be best to use a drill to detach them to make it easier and faster. Remove the hardware from cabinets and doors as well then set it aside if you plan to reuse the hardware.
- Clean the doors and shelves. Dust and grime build up over time. You have to thoroughly clean your doors and shelves, wiping it with a wet cloth to make sure that the finishing will cling well to the doors and shelves.
- Sand the doors and shelves. Once you have cleaned the doors and shelves, use fine sand paper to smoothen out the doors and shelves. When you’re done, wipe it again to remove the dust and grit from sanding.
- Apply primer on the doors and shelves. Use a paintbrush to apply the primer. Make sure that you buy an oil-base primer and apply it evenly on all the surfaces. Let it dry for 24 hours. Once it’s dry, sand the doors and shelves to make it smoother.
- Paint the doors and shelves. When painting the doors and shelves, use latex paint. Choose the color that you want for your kitchen doors and shelves and use a large paintbrush to evenly paint the surfaces. Apply 2-3 coats of latex paint but make sure to let the first coat dry before applying the next coat. Allow the paint to dry for 24 hours.
- Apply polyurethane. Applying polyurethane will make your cabinets and doors less porous and will make your cabinets easier to clean. It will also give it a more glossy finish that would enhance the beauty of your kitchen.
- Re-install your doors and shelves. When the polyurethane completely dries, re-install the shelves and the doors. Make sure that the doors are evenly placed and the hinges are in place to make it easier to open and close the kitchen doors.
Refinishing your kitchen cabinets is definitely the most economical solution in reviving your kitchen cabinet’s beauty. That is why if you do not want to spend thousands of dollars remodeling your kitchen cabinets then take the matters into your own hands and refinish your kitchen cabinets.