Sinus infections are an inflammation of the sinuses and nasal passages. It is usually caused by allergies, colds or other causes. Swelling of the gums is a common symptom of the infection, which is caused by bacteria. When the maxillary sinuses become infected, the infection may extend into the roots of your maxillary teeth through the alveolar process and will cause dental disorders such as gum swelling. There are several ways to treat this kind of infection.
- Take medicines. Taking ibuprofen and paracetamol can help relieve swollen gums. Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug used to reduce swelling. Paracetamol is a common analgesic used to relieve pain. A decongestant is also effective against the swelling of the sinus cavity, which lessens the pressure placed on the gums. You can also apply Orajel. Orajel also known as benzocaine is an anesthetic used for numbing pain or irritation. Apply it on infected areas using cotton swab. It helps to reduce pain. You may see your dentist to ask for antibiotics that can help prevent infections.
- Gargle with salt water. It is the cheapest and effective way to relieve swollen gums. Prepare salt water by mixing a glass of water and 3 tbsp. of salt. Gargle salt water for about 30 seconds. You can use salt water as often as possible. It is used to rinse your teeth and gums effectively and it also helps to relieve pain and swelling.
- Suck on crushed ice cubes. This can be used to temporarily relieve pain. The coolness of the ice helps your nerves to relax and relieve pain instantly. You can suck on ice or take a piece of ice and rub it gently on the area affected.
- Practice proper oral hygiene. Poor oral hygiene may cause bacteria to spread to our teeth and gum area, which is always the cause of some illnesses and complications in oral health. Practicing proper oral hygiene helps you maintain your health and prevent you from infections. Brush your teeth three times a day. Proper brushing of teeth is the best way to reduce bacteria that can cause infections. You can also use dental floss. It helps to clean gum lines that promotes inflammation. Gargling mouthwash also helps to clean your mouth and reduces receding bacteria.
- Proper nutrition. Malnutrition is a common cause of disease such as sinus infection and swelling of gums. A proper nutrition or proper diet helps the body to stay in good condition and prevent any kind of illnesses. Make it a habit to eat healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables. Avoid eating hard foods, candies that may damage gum lines. Eating foods rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin B protects us against infections and it also helps clearing up infections.
- Ask your doctor. To prevent or relieve swollen gums, you may ask your doctor or a dentist for further instructions or steps to treat your illness. He may prescribe an anti-inflammatory or antibiotics such as tetracycline.
Proper medication or treatment should be always applied to avoid problems or complications. Consult a doctor and practice proper hygiene and proper nutrition.