Hot tubs are a great getaway in the comfort of your own home. There is nothing like a fresh and relaxing hot dip after a day’s work. For individuals with busy schedule and never ending work load, this is the best stress-free manner to unwind. It will make you feel so good that you will spend more and more time in your hot tub than in your office. But because of your frenzied work schedule and pressure deadlines you may have neglected the proper means of taking care of your hot tub. As mold and mildew grow in water and moisture your hot tub becomes an open target for breeding.
When you are taking time from work you will want that serene and unsullied environment. You might find that hard to enjoy when you realize that your leisure site has been contaminated by mold and mildew. This will most likely cause discoloration and give off that musty odor which is highly dangerous when inhaled. To restore order and harmony in your hot tub you will need to commence on the necessary clean-up.
Here are steps on how to remove mildew from a hot tub.
- Prepare the solution. Prepare your cleaning aid. You can opt to use bleach as it is a very effective cleaning material. But if you would like to go for non-toxic products, lemon juice mixed in lukewarm water and salt will be a great substitute. This will make it easy for you to scrub off the mildew stains. Lemon juice serves as a disinfectant and the salt helps in rubbing off the mildew stains.
- Wear your safety gear. Removing mildew involves safety hazards as these organisms are a kind of fungi. These should not be inhaled or in contact with the human skin. Mold and mildew feed on decaying materials that poses threat to your health. Make sure that you wear your gloves, face mask and goggles to keep the mold spores from getting into your system.
- The cleaning process. Spray the hot tub with the cleaning solution and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Dunk your washcloth or sponge into the remaining solution and begin scrubbing mildew until its stain disappears. You can repeat the process should the mildew persistently sticks in the crevices and surface of the tub.
- From top to toe wash. You may also continue scrubbing while hosing down all sides. Rinse well and use a washcloth to wipe clean the entire hot tub. Make sure to rinse thoroughly so you would not miss any mildew stained spot.
- Shiny and New. To have a very desirable result, ensure that the hot tub is given enough time to completely dry. You can use a washcloth again to wipe all sides dry. There are available scented materials that you can leave by your tub to give off a fresh clean whiff. You can even use lavender scent to fill your hot tub for a more relaxing and comforting aroma.
Leisure time is just as important as cleanliness. You can better enjoy your hot tub in a clean and spotless atmosphere rather than in a musty and mildew stain-filled situation. Unwind in a well maintained hot tub in the comfort of your own home.