Cigarette smoking is not only terrible for your health, but also stains your fingers, gums and lips. While your fingers are not so visible, you may want to make sure that your lips and gums are pink and healthy-looking since these are parts of your body that people immediately see. Here’s how.
- Stop smoking. The single most important step in ensuring that your gums and lips stay pink and healthy and unstained by nicotine is to make sure that you stop smoking. No matter what you do, the stains will come back unless you quit smoking. There are many smoking cessation programs out there. A lot of people naturally develop a dependence on smoking. Nonetheless, you should try out the various smoking cessation programs. One of these programs is bound to work for you. You can try quitting cold turkey, or you can use pills and nicotine patches to help you reduce your cigarette intake.
- Citrus fruits. Next, try to bring back the natural pink color to your lips by using some citrus fruits. Just take a small fruit, such as a lemon and cut it so that you have a wedge. Use this wedge between your lips, and simply allow the wedge to stay in between your lips for about five minutes. Doing this on a daily basis will help to naturally and very gently bleach your lips. It may feel weird at first, but as you get used to this habit, you will be able to incorporate it into your morning routine easily.
- Vitamins. You should also make sure that you take in supplements. Vitamin E and C are the two most important vitamins if you want to regenerate your skin. Remember that your lips and gums are still covered in skin, which is why you need to take in these vitamin supplements. These are usually available in capsules that you can easily take in with meals.
- Brushing and flossing. Another important step to returning the natural pink color of your gums is to brush your teeth and to floss regularly. Smokers usually have yellowing teeth because of the nicotine stains. But, the brushing and flossing will not just work wonders on your teeth but also on your gums. The flossing action will help to promote better circulation in your gums which ensures that more nutrients are able to reach your gums. With more nutrients reaching your gums, you should be able to achieve the pink gums that you lost when you started smoking.
- Balm. Finally, be sure to use some lip gloss or some lip balm on your lips. Keeping your lips moisturized will reduce peeling and chafing. When your lips chafe, they actually eventually become darker because of the scarring. By keeping your lips moisturized, you will be able to maintain naturally pink lips all the time.
Removing the nicotine stain from your gums and from your lips is not a quick process, but with these steps, you should be able to get pink gums and lips again after some time.