One of the common stains on your driveway will be the oil stains. Oil stains in driveways are frequent because cars naturally tend to leak after some time, or if there are broken parts in your car’s oil system. If you want to remove the oil stains from your driveway, here are some steps that you need to follow.
- Kitty litter. As much as possible, you should remove the largest chunks of oil from the driveway first, before you remove the actual stain. If you don’t remove the stagnant oil on the garage, it will sink deeper into the cement and make the stain more difficult to remove. Also, you don’t want to spread the oil around the driveway as you try to scrub the stain off. The easiest way to remove oil stains is by taking some kitty litter and placing it over the stain. Kitty litter is very absorbent. Just leave it over the stain overnight, and by next day the kitty litter should have absorbed all of the wet spots of the oil stain.
- Dishwashing soap. Next, you will need to combine some dishwashing liquid with some hot water. Mix well until the liquid begins to froth, and then pour over the oil spot. Leave this on for around twenty to thirty minutes. Dishwashing liquids are especially formulated to remove oil stains, such as those from cooking oil. While motor oil that gets spilled on the driveway is a little bit different from kitchen oils, they are still chemically equivalent which is why dishwashing soap works best.
- Scrub. After letting the dishwashing liquid sit on the stain for a couple of minutes, take a scrubbing pad and use it to scrub the stain on the cement driveway. This can take a couple of minutes. If the stain does not seem to want to wash off, you should add more dishwashing soap and then return to scrubbing.
- Hot water. After you have finished scrubbing, rinse off the oil stain completely with some hot water. Hot water should be used, because hot water will soften up the stains and make it easier to wash away.
- Muriatic acid. In some cases, however, the dishwashing liquid may not be enough to remove the oil stains from the driveway, especially if the oil stains have been left on the cement for a long time, in which case the oil will have already seeped deep into the small cracks and crevices of the cement driveway. When this happens, you should use some muriatic acid to clean the driveway. Simply pour the acid over the driveway and wait for around fifteen minutes. Afterwards, use hot water to douse the acid away. Keep in mind, however, that muriatic acid is a very strong acid and must always be used with care. Wear gloves and make sure that you don’t get the acid on your skin. Also avoid inhaling the fumes from the muriatic acid.
With these steps, cleaning out even the toughest oil stains in your driveway can be accomplished easily.