Most of the appliances that you may have at home have stainless steel parts. Over time, these parts can corrode and rust will form. This can become unsightly and it can also destroy your appliances if you do not remove the rust as soon as possible. There are ways on how you can remove rust from your stainless steel appliances. Find out how to do this by reading the simple instructions that are provided here.
- Use baking soda. One of the things that you can use to remove rust is baking soda. Prepare a soft bristled toothbrush and some baking soda. Wipe your appliance clean first with a soft towel. Wet the toothbrush and dip it into the baking soda. Use the toothbrush to brush off the rust on the stainless steel appliance. Make sure that you use soft bristles so that the stainless steel appliances will not have any scratches. The baking soda should remove the rust from the surface.
- Clean the stainless steel. When all the rust has been removed from the stainless steel, clean off the baking soda with a warm and damp soft cloth. Do this until the entire surface of your stainless steel appliance is free of rust and baking soda.
- Use rust remover. Another solution is to use rust remover. There are rust removers that you can purchase that are especially made for stainless steel. Read the instructions on the bottle on how to use the product. For small stainless steel appliance parts, you can prepare a rust remover bath. Detach the stainless steel part from the appliance itself. Prepare a container and fill it with the rust remover. Submerge the stainless steel appliance parts in the rust remover and leave it for a few minutes. Afterwards, use a brush or sponge to remove the rust flakes from the stainless steel parts.
- For larger appliances. If you are working on large appliances such as an oven door, or refrigerator, you can just spray on the rust remover. Make sure that you wear rubber gloves when doing this to protect your hands from the chemicals of the rust remover. Spray the rust remover solution on the rusty areas and then scrub lightly with a toothbrush. The rust should come right off. Wipe off the rust flakes with a damp towel and allow your appliance to dry.
- Storage of appliances. For small stainless steel appliances, you have to make sure that you store it in a cool and dry place so that moisture will not set in and develop rust on the surface of your appliances.
These are the tips that you can follow to remover rust from your stainless steel appliances. To prevent rust from forming, make sure that you dry the stainless steel parts of your appliances completely before storing. Also, wipe off the surfaces with a clean towel to get rid of grease and other liquids after using the appliances. This will prevent rust from forming on the surface of your stainless steel appliance.