Bathtubs and sinks can develop rust when not used for a long time. This also happens when you do not dry the bathtub and sink after use and there is a pool of water left. The rust stains can be unsightly and can make your bathroom look dirty, especially if your bathtub and sink has a light color. The important thing is that you try to remove the rust stains when they are just starting to form so that they won’t develop into a thicker rust stain that is harder to remove. Find out how to remove rust stains from your bathtub and sink with these easy instructions.
- Clean the bathtub and sink. First, clean the bathtub and sink. Afterwards, dry it well using a clean rag. You can also allow it to air dry or dry it with an electric fan to make it quicker.
- Prepare materials. While waiting for the bathtub and sink to dry, you can already prepare the materials that you are going to use. Prepare a sponge, toothbrush, clean rags, a bucket of water and toilet bowl cleaner. You should also wear rubber gloves while cleaning to avoid drying out your skin from the toilet bowl cleaner.
- Use the toilet bowl cleaner. Pour a few drops of the toilet bowl cleaner on the rust stains and allow it to set for a few minutes. This will soften the rust so that it will be easier for you to clean later on.
- Scrub off the rust. Use the toothbrush to scrub off the rust that has formed at the bottom of the bathtub and the sink. You can add more toilet bowl cleaner if the rust stain is difficult to remove. Scrub until you get all of the rust off.
- Wipe down the surface. When you have removed the rust with the toothbrush, you can use the sponge to wipe down the area in the bathtub and the sink to get rid of the toilet bowl cleaner. Use the sponge and dip it in the bucket of water for easier cleaning. Make sure that there are no faint stains of rust left on your bathtub and sink.
- Rinse the bathtub and sink. The final step is to rinse the bathtub and sink so that it will be ready for use. Use warm water to rinse the surface of the bathtub and sink well.
- Dry the areas. Dry the areas using clean rags. Use rags that will not leave fiber on the surface.
These are the steps that you can follow to remove the rust stains on your bathtub and sink. The rust can sometimes be caused by the quality of water that runs through your pipes. There are minerals that can form the rust on the surface of your bathtub and sink. You can install a water filter for your water source or place a filter on the spout of the faucet to filter out the minerals and have pure water for bathing and washing hands.