Using stainless steel appliances at home can give a modern and sleek look to your kitchen. These appliances are nice to look at but they can be prone to scratches. The scratches on the surface of your appliances can be unsightly. However, there is a solution to this. You can eliminate the light scratches on your stainless steel appliances by following these simple instructions. Follow these steps to remove the scratches and restore your stainless steel appliances back to how they looked when they were new.
- Materials that you need. The materials that you need for this are 3M stainless steel cleaner and polish, non-abrasive cloth, Scotch Brite pad and some paper towels. You can purchase the stainless steel polish from the hardware store or you can also order online from the website 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish Aerosol.
- Clean your stainless steel appliance. First, you have to wipe down the surface of your stainless steel appliance with a clean cloth. This is to eliminate all the dust and dirt so that you can see where the scratches are. Observe the areas where there are scratches so that you can concentrate on those spots.
- Buff the surface. Use the Scotch Brite pad to lightly buff the surface of the stainless steel. You need to use a coarse grain pad for this. Be careful when you buff so that you do not damage the surface further. Work with the grain of the surface when you buff. This will lighten the scratch on the stainless steel but will not completely eliminate it. If you have a stainless steel buffer, you can also use that instead of using Scotch Brite. Just make sure that you buff with the grain and not against it so that you won’t ruin the surface of your appliance.
- Apply the stainless steel polish. Spray the cleaner and polish on the area where there are scratches. Afterwards, use the cotton cloth to work the polish on the affected area of your appliance. Use a circular motion when rubbing in the stainless steel polish. You will notice the light scratches disappear while you are doing this. When you have eliminated the scratch from the affected area, you can spray the stainless steel polish on the entire surface of the appliance to protect it from stains, scratches and fingerprints.
- Wipe the stainless steel surface. When you are done, you can wipe down the entire surface of the appliance with the non-abrasive cloth. You can also use microfiber cloth so that there are no traces of fiber that will be left on the surface of the stainless steel appliance. Make sure that you remove the remaining polish on the surface.
These are the steps that you can follow to remove scratches on your stainless steel appliances. Make it a point to clean the surface of your appliances after each use to avoid having buildup of substances. Make sure that you have a non-abrasive soft cloth for cleaning to avoid having scratches on the surface.