Having glass windows makes your home look classier. Maintaining the windows is not that hard. You just have to clean it daily to remove the marks and fingerprints. In some cases, you may find some mild scratches on your windows due to bumps and abrasive cloths used for cleaning. This can make your window look dirty. You can easily remove the mild scratches with just a few simple steps. Here’s how you can do it.
- Materials to prepare. The materials that you need are non-abrasive cleaning cloth or microfiber cloth, toothpaste, buffing pad and a squeegee. You can purchase all these materials from your local hardware store.
- Inspect the windows. Inspect the windows for the scratches. See if the scratches are mild or if they are too deep. You might need to replace the windows if the scratches are too deep to repair. For mild to medium scratches, you can easily remove it.
- Clean the windows. The first thing that you need to do is to clean the windows. This is to get rid of the dust and stain marks. It will also be easier for you to see the scratches on the window. Use a soft sponge or a non-abrasive cloth to clean the glass windows.
- Use toothpaste on the scratches. Apply a dollop of toothpaste on the areas of the window where there are scratches. You have to use the regular toothpaste and not the gel toothpaste. Use your finger to spread the toothpaste on the surface using a circular motion.
- Buff the scratches. Use the buffing pad to buff over the scratches that have toothpaste. You can use a buffer for this or if you do not have one you can just buff the surface of the window manually. Use a circular motion when buffing. The toothpaste will work on the scratch and eliminate it from your window. For medium scratches, it might take a while for it to be removed.
- Clean the glass window. After buffing, inspect the window to see if you have eliminated all the scratches on the surface. You can start cleaning the window once it is clear of scratches. Use the squeegee to soap the entire window and then glide over the surface using the other side of the squeegee. You can also use a microfiber cloth to wipe the window glass.
- Use glass protector. To prevent having scratches on your window glass, you can use a glass protector. You can purchase glass protectors online or from your hardware store. This is an adhesive that you can put over the glass window easily. This will make your window glass last from a long time. This is beneficial since installing new glass on your windows can be quite expensive and you will need an expert to do it for you.
These are the steps that you can follow to remove scratches from your glass windows. Use only soft cotton rags and materials made for cleaning glass windows so that you will not have scratches on your windows in the future.