Bricks are used in homes for decorative purposes. They can be used for walls, floors, in the kitchen and in the fireplace. They give a rustic and homey feeling. The problem with bricks is that they can absorb stains easily since they are porous. Stains will leave your bricks looking dirty and this can ruin the look that you are trying to achieve for your home. There are several ways you can remove stains from a brick. Follow the tips below to learn some of the tricks.
- Brush off with water. In some cases, the stains can be eliminated simply by brushing the brick with a toothbrush dipped in water. This will be effective, especially if the stain is new. Dip a toothbrush in water and then scrub the stain off the brick. Allow the brick to dry and see if the stain has disappeared. If the stain is still present, follow the other tips provided here.
- Dishwashing liquid. You might need some soap to remove some types of stains. Mix a few drops of dishwashing liquid with a bit of water until you come up with soapy water. Pour the soapy water on the stains on the brick. Afterwards, scrub the area with a brush to eliminate the stain completely. Rinse the brick until it is no longer soapy.
- Muriatic acid. Another thing you can use to remove stains is muriatic acid. When you do this, make sure that you wear rubber gloves to protect your hands. Mix a tablespoon of muriatic acid with 15 tablespoons of water. Pour the solution over the stain and allow it to set for 10 to 15 minutes. Afterwards, use soft bristled toothbrush to scrub off the stain from the brick. After removing the stains, rinse off the brick with warm water.
- Bleach. Bleach is a strong chemical that you must be careful with when using. Wear rubber gloves before removing the stains. Mix half a cup of bleach with 1 ½ cups of warm water. Scrub the solution on the stain on the brick. Leave it for about 15 minutes. The stain should come right off. This is best to use for mold and mildew stains on the brick. Rinse the brick using warm water.
- Baking soda and lemon juice. Slice a lemon and squeeze lemon juice on the stained area on the brick. Afterwards, sprinkle a bit of baking soda. Use a toothbrush to scrub off the stain from the brick. The acidity of the lemon juice will be able to lift stains from the brick. Rinse off the lemon juice and baking soda and allow the brick to dry.
These are the options that you have when you want to remove stains from a brick. It is best to clean the brick surfaces in your home to avoid stains from forming. Pay special attention to bricks that are located in dark and moist environments since these areas are best for the formation of mold and mildew, which can add stains to your bricks.