The inside of your toilet can develop stains easily, especially if you do not clean it that often. Another reason is the minerals in hard water. The minerals can leave rusty stains or scum at the sides of your toilet bowl and this can be unsightly, especially if your toilet bowl has a light color. Regular cleaning will not be able to get rid of these stains but there are some things that you can do to eliminate them. Find out how to remove stains from the inside of a toilet with these simple steps.
- Clean the toilet. The first thing that you have to do is to clean the toilet. This will not remove the stains but it is better to work on a clean toilet rather than one that is dirty. This will also help you see the stains that are difficult to remove. After cleaning, inspect the stains to see how thick they are and where they are located.
- Baking soda and vinegar. One of the things that you can do to remove toilet bowl stains is to mix baking soda with vinegar and use that as a cleaning solution. Both these ingredients are popular for removing stains and whitening surfaces. Sprinkle some baking soda on the areas of your toilet bowl where there are stains. Pour vinegar on the stained areas. You will notice that there will be bubbles. Wait for the bubbles to disappear and then scrub the stained areas with a brush. The stains should disappear after brushing.
- Borax with lemon juice. Slice a lemon and remove the seeds. Squeeze the lemon in a small container to get the juice. Add some borax to the lemon. You need just enough borax to come up with a pasty consistency. Use rubber gloves for this. Get an old toothbrush and dip it into the solution. Scrub the cleaning solution on the areas with stains. If the stains are tough to remove, spread the mixture on the stained areas and leave it for a while. Afterwards, scrub off the stains and they should come off.
- Toilet cleaner. There are plenty of commercial toilet cleaners that are available in the market. One of the most effective cleaners for removing tough stains is OxyClean. Purchase OxyClean and follow the instructions on the bottle for proper usage. The chemicals in the solution will work on the toughest of stains to completely eliminate them from inside your bowl. You can also use OxyClean for your bathtub, bathroom walls and floors, shower doors and the sink.
- Rinse off the cleaners. After removing the stains from the toilet bowl, rinse the bowl with warm water to remove the cleaners.
Follow these tips and you will have a clean toilet bowl in no time. It is best to clean your toilet bowl at least three times a week to prevent the buildup of stains and to maintain the cleanliness in your bathroom. Do not allow stains to settle in the bowl for a long time since they will be harder to remove.