If you’re experiencing some bug situation at home, it’s time to do something about it. Bring out the soap! Yes, soap – specifically, castile soap – has been found to be effective at eliminating and repelling houseplant bugs. The great thing about this is that using soap will help will help you avoid using more artificial and potentially harmful chemicals and pesticides which will probably do more harm than good to your plants. Here are some important details to know about repelling houseplant bugs with castile soap.
- Know what castile soap is. Castile soap is organic soap made of vegetable matter (rather than the animal fat that regular soaps are made of). More specifically, castile soap is made with ingredients such as olive, avocado, walnut, hemp or coconut. It is the soap of choice of the environmentally-conscious, and it is widely-used not just for cleaning the body but as a general cleaning agent as well. Castile soap is available in solid and liquid form, but for the purposes of this project it’s best that you buy the liquid form variety.
- Purchase the necessary materials. For this activity, you will need the following materials: a spray bottle, water, and Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap, a brand of castile soap. Though you can of course buy other brands, Dr. Bronner’s is a well-known and highly-reputable brand that you can use for best results. It’s recommended that you purchase the peppermint scent variety.
- Create the mixture. Combine a liter of water with 1.5 teaspoons of Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap. Mix them well, and place some of it in a clean spray bottle. Though it’s recommended that you start with this recipe, you could of course alter the formula if you want the solution to be either stronger or milder.
- Start spraying your houseplants with the formula. Another advantage to this project is that you could enjoy the invigorating peppermint scent that will ensue. You could also be rest assured that this spray is quite mild and natural, and it will not cause any untoward effects to your houseplants.
- Take other measures to repel houseplant bugs. Apart from regularly spraying your houseplants with this solution, you should also do other steps to ensure that your houseplants stay bug-free and healthy. For example, you should that you prune your plants regularly and inspect them for pests and bugs daily. You might also want to invest in window screens to prevent bugs from coming in. Finally, you could put some pencil shavings (preferably from a cedar pencil) around the base of the plant, as these are known to repel many types of bugs.
- Choose plants that naturally repel bugs. Do know that there are some plant varieties that bugs dislike. Some of these plants include the following: rosemary, basil, catnip, peppermint and geraniums. You could opt to keep these varieties as houseplants, or you could keep them near your other plants to discourage bugs from going to your other plants.
There you have it! These are some of the tried-and-tested ways to repel houseplant bugs through the use of castile soap. It’s very good to know that there are quick and easy solutions to dealing with houseplant pests, and the best thing is, they’re non-toxic and won’t prove harmful to the environment. Good luck, and hope this helped!