The Hyundai Sonata is one of the many technological and mechanical wonders to come from Korea. The first ever release of the Hyundai Sonata was in November of 1985 and was limited to a Korea-only release. A good thing happened in 1988 when the Hyundai Sonata was released internationally with Canada and the United States as the first recipients of the second generation models. And after that, the rest was history for this successful mid-sized sedan as it even underwent stunning facelifts in 1996 and then in 2005.
The amazing Hyundai Sonata has gone very far and has even unveiled a hybrid model in car shows. But on top of the many changes and many generations of this high quality car, the Hyundai Sonata’s fuel efficiency remains one of its most attractive features. And this efficiency is all thanks to the fuel injection technology that this sedan uses. To continue benefiting from this innovation you must learn to keep it in tip-top shape. Here are some tips on how to replace a fuel injector in a Hyundai Sonata.
- Tools of the fuel injection trade. Utilizing your Hyundai Sonata’s fuel injector means you have to keep it in very good condition. Or, if need be, you have to replace it so that it works without a hitch. To be able to perform a fuel injector system replacement you will need special kits and some tools. First off, you need a fuel injector kit. Whenever you are purchasing replacement parts make sure that you get the ones that are in good condition. There is no use in getting in replacement parts with a broken piece. Next you will need a socket wrench set and a torque wrench. These manual tools will help you get the old parts out and the new ones in. When you have the required materials you are all set to take on this project.
- Pieces that fit. Not all fuel injection systems will work in all of the Hyundai Sonata models. With the many generations and versions of this car, it is almost sure that there have been changes in the fuel injection systems. So make sure that you get the appropriate fuel injector for your Hyundai Sonata.
- Down and dirty. Now that you have the right fuel injector, the next step begins. Go get your socket wrench. Then ease the pressure on the fuel system. Disconnecting the negative battery connector or cable follows. Always be careful when tinkering with your car. And make sure you are in a space wide enough to maneuver. Keep the kids safe and sound away from the vehicle.
- Remove some more parts. The next step involves removing some more parts to give way for the fuel injector. So, take away the air intake surge tank. You can do this with the help of your socket wrench. In some Hyundai Sonata models, you will have to disconnect some more lines like the fuel lines and electrical connectors. The next step is to lift the old fuel injector out. Begin this by removing the vacuum hose. Then you take out the part called the fuel supply manifold. The fuel injectors should still be attached to the fuel supply manifold even when they are taken out. Once the fuel injector and fuel supply manifold is out of the engine cavity, remove the injector. The old O-rings should be disposed of properly.
- Old one out, new one in. With the help of brand new O-rings, connect or install the new fuel injectors to the fuel supply manifold. The torque wrench will help you in securing the mounting bolts. Then finish the installation by returning everything to its original place. Start the engine and see if there are any leaks.
The Hyundai Sonata is blessed to have a fuel injector. Enjoy the benefits of it by keeping it functioning and running well.