When it comes to car engines, heating and cooling are more closely related than you think. That is why when it comes to your cooling system and heater core, it is very important to know how to maintain it.
When it comes to maintaining your cooling system, one of the important things to do is to replace the hose in your heater core. The hoses in your heater core allow the hot coolant to enter and to leave the heater core to give warmth to the inside of the vehicle. Over time, the hoses become hard and brittle that is one of the most common causes of coolant leaks.
When your hoses are old or has become hard, brittle, or swollen, it is best to replace them as soon as possible. You can easily change the cooling system heater core hoses by following these simple steps:
- Drain the cooling system. Get a bucket or drain pan and place it under your radiator. Before you open your radiator cap, make sure that your car engine and radiator is cool enough to touch. Open the petcock fitting that is found at the bottom and drain the cooling system. Dispose of everything that was drained from your radiator as this can become very poisonous.
- Remove the hose clamps. Use a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to remove the hose clamps. Once it is removed, twist and pull the old hoses to help loosen it from the clamps. Be careful in releasing the hoses from the clamps to avoid damaging any parts. If your clamps look old and corroded, it would also be a great idea to replace your clamps with new ones.
- Apply sealer on the fittings. Before applying the sealer, make sure to scrape and clean the fittings. Once the fittings are clean, put some gasket sealer on the fittings to make sure that your new hoses will have a tight seal on the fittings. Do not apply sealer on the hose as this may cause the hose to clog.
- Slide the clamps on your hoses then install them. Make sure that the hose ends could slide over the fittings far enough for you to position the clamps properly. Tighten the clamps to make sure there are no leaks. One thing you have to remember when you buy your new hose is to make sure that it has the same size and length as your old hose. There are many kinds of hoses that you could buy and it is best to buy the exact same one as your old hose to make sure that it will fit the fittings and clamps perfectly.
- Fill the radiator with some coolant. After tightening the clamps, close the valve of your radiator and fill it with some coolant. Close the cap then start your engine to check if there are any leaks.
Car engines need maintenance to make sure that your car is always in its best condition. That is why it is important to know how to change your cooling system heater core hoses to make sure that you won’t have any problem with your engine’s cooling system.