The Urlmon.dll is an error caused by distortion of the Urlmon.dll file. This is used by Windows to integrate a range of objects and hyperlinks into your documents, which is commonly called Object Linking and Embedding. It is an error that commonly shows in several versions of Windows such as Windows 98, Windows 2000. Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. There will be times when you will see a message that says your current program will be shut down and when you check the details it would more likely say that urlmon.dll has caused a fault or something to that effect. If you get this error, it could mean that there is a problem with the file you’re working on or the software itself. Here’s how you can fix this error.
- Download a new file. Go to the website and download a new version of the file. You could also set it up using an Installation CD.
- Check if urlmon.dll is activated. Go to Startup and check if the dll is not activated. You can also see in your Task Manager if urlmon.dll is activated by pressing ctrl+alt+del on your computer. Do not open your browser as it might activate the dll.
- Rename the file. Run your Windows explorer, click on urlmon.dll, select the File menu and click on Rename. You must rename the file Urlmon.dll to Urlmon1.dll. Then restart your computer.
- System restore. Should the above steps do not work out well; you can resort to the system restore feature. Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then System Restore then choose a date to restore your computer to. This will replace any corrupted file, which could be the reason for this error.
- Registry Cleaner. Use this to scan your computer. It looks into your whole system and wipes out all errors that Windows have. This also helps fix settings that have been damaged so you can finally stop seeing dll errors.
- Reboot. After the above steps have been done, reboot your computer and check if it is smoothly running. If yes, then you can go ahead and delete previously renamed urlmon.dll.
And that’s how it is. Remember to check first if the urlmon.dll is
activated. You can check on the website and download a new version of
the file and save it on your thumb drive or you can buy an installation
CD, your choice. Either way you need to try and rename the file first in
order to replace the old version. Do not forget to delete copies of the
urlmon.dll file from your computer and from the thumb drive as well to
lessen the mess although it is also advised to save one in case of
emergency. Then follow the next steps if it doesn’t work the first time.
It does not take a computer engineer to fix this error, you just need
the right know how and you will be removing urlmon.dll errors in no
time. If none of it still works, there could be a serious problem with
your system and you might need to have it checked out by an expert.