The thyroid is a gland located near the throat. It is responsible for the body’s metabolism. How a person gains weight gain relies largely on his metabolism rates. Some people are fortunate enough to have faster rates than others. These people are the same people who can eat and eat without having to worry about weight-gain. Others are not so lucky. Hypothyroidism is a condition wherein a person suffers from a sluggish thyroid that most often than not results to weight-gain.
Do you find it difficult to lose weight? If so, then maybe you have the same condition. If you have it, then do not worry. There are steps to rev up your sluggish thyroid to make it perform better. Read on to find out what they are.
- Get yourself examined. The first step in revving up your sluggish thyroid is to go to your physician and have yourself examined. There are symptoms that accompany hypothyroidism such as fatigue and inexplicable weight-gain. Other signs like dry and pale skin may also indicate hypothyroidism. In extreme cases, a person who has the condition also suffers from depression and a decrease in sexual libido. Hypothyroidism is manageable so it is important to seek medical consultation so that your doctor can advise you on what to do to properly treat it.
- Live healthy. The only way to combat a sluggish thyroid is to live a healthy life through a balanced diet and exercise. Here are important factors to remember:
- Get regular exercise. Exercising helps increase your metabolism. This is because when you exercise, your body takes in huge doses of oxygen that burns calories and fat. Most studies show that all it takes is 15 minutes of non-stop exercise to boost your metabolic rate. Start by walking or jogging for about an hour a day. Mix it up with yoga or Pilates for variety. It is important to exercise according to your own pace. Take it slow if you need to as long as you remain vigilant about it. Do not overdo it though as it may pose another problem for you later on.
- Eat a balanced diet. A well-balanced diet is crucial if you want to increase your metabolism. Eat more proteins and lessen your carbohydrates. Limit foods that are high in calories and fat. Start your day with protein shakes and bars and ample amount of carbohydrates for energy. Snack on fruits instead of your usual chips. It is important that you do not starve yourself so stay away from crash diets. This will only worsen your metabolic rate. Studies show that crash diets, although works, spikes up your metabolic rate so bad that you gain more weight in the end.
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day may sound like a cliché but it actually works. Drinking water cleanses the body and get rids of toxics and waste and thus, increases your metabolism. Another thing you can consider is green tea, it has essential substances like EGCG that also helps to improve your rate.
- Get enough sleep. Sleeping for at least 6 hours a day helps recharge your body and is significant in speeding up your thyroid.
And there you have it! Four simple things to consider in dealing with a
sluggish thyroid! With proper discipline and strong will, you will soon
lose all those unnecessary pounds in time. Good luck!