Sanitizing doesn’t have to be expensive. In fact, with just a few natural products, you can clean your house of all possible germs and bacteria. But these organic products are not only cheap; they also help in the protection of the environment and spare you from toxic fumes and chemicals. So when shopping for sanitation products, don’t go to the chemical aisle right away. Head instead to the condiment and organic product aisle. And here’s what you should include in your shopping list.
- Baking soda. Baking soda is a natural cleaner, deodorizer, and sanitizer. It can be used to clean and sanitize countertops, tiled flooring, walls, carpets, and rugs, among other things. Baking soda is effective as it is but can also be made into a paste using other natural cleaning products such as vinegar and lemon. Baking soda paste is applied to surfaces and rinsed off after.
- Vinegar. Vinegar’s acidic content eliminates bacteria and germs, which is why it is a primary ingredient for preserved foods. White vinegar and apple cider vinegar are specifically used for sanitation. They are mixed with water (and usually with baking soda, too) and are sprayed over a surface. Vinegar leaves a strong smell, though. But it disappears as the vinegar dries. Remember, however, that some surfaces don’t react well to vinegar. Marble is one example. So make sure to always spot test first before using vinegar as a sanitization product.
- Lemon juice. Like vinegar, lemon juice is also an acidic product and is therefore effective as a cleaning and sanitizing agent. It can be used as it is, can be mixed with vinegar, and, as mentioned, can be combined with baking soda to form a paste. Sliced lemon is also effective in disinfecting home items. The open end of the lemon is usually sprinkled with salt and is rubbed against a surface. Lemon peels are also used as a garbage can deodorizer and sanitizer.
- Grapefruit seed extract. Unknown to many, grapefruit seed extract (GSE) is a potent disinfectant. In fact, a scholar said that it is more effective than hospital disinfectant products. GSE is found to be effective in killing different kinds of bacteria that cause several illnesses such as sinusitis and infection. To make a GSE disinfectant solution, you only have to mix it with water. Use it as a spray.
- Neem oil. Neem oil is not only a sanitizing product, it also is an insect-repellant. To use, simply mix neem oil with liquid soap. Shake the mixture and spray it over a surface. Put a few drops of water on the surface and wipe it with a clean rag. The surface should be free of germs and bacteria after.
- Tea tree oil. Because of its antifungal and antibacterial properties, tea tree oil is used in many cosmetic and sanitizing items. As a home sanitizing product, tea tree oil is used as a spray. Prepare the spray by combining around 20 drops tea tree oil, two cups water, two tablespoons vinegar, and ½ teaspoon liquid soap. Mix them well.
Preparing these natural sanitizing products can take time, but they are definitely worth the effort. You get to save some money; help curb the pollution; and protect your family from bacteria, germs, and toxic chemicals. That’s hitting three birds with one stone.