It has always been a challenge for a lot of households to cut energy expenses. Though there are some that succeeds, there are still a lot of homes that fail not matter how hard they try. The good news for you is that there is one thing you can do to ensure you will save energy around your home. This is as simple as using timers at home. Here is how you can successfully save on energy using timers:
- Check out your whole house and identify things you usually forget to turn off. No matter how hard you try, there are a lot of chances that you will leave some fans and lights at home turned on after you use them. You can check out bathroom and closet lights, ceiling fans, and the like.
- Determine the fixtures that you can control using a timer. Now that you have identified the things that you always forget to turn off, examine which among them are controllable with a timer.
- Install outlet timers in certain things inside your home. There are several kinds of timers that you can install at home to control certain things. There is a digital timer, permanent wall timer, wall switch timer, and the like that you must use accurately. No matter what your option is, make sure you install the timer correctly. Get the help of an electrician if you do not know for sure the proper way of installing the timer.
- Know where to use a permanent wall timer. You can use this kind of timer if you want to control bathroom fans, closet lights, and utility closet fans.
- Know where to use digital and wall switch timers. Digital timers are best used for the bedside lamp. On the other hand, wall switch timers are perfect for room lights. Wall switch timers work differently because you need to push a button in the switch to tell when the light needs to go off. You can set if for 10 minutes to as long as an hour.
- Replace lights with fluorescent bulbs. You will save more on energy costs if you will replace incandescent bulbs with fluorescent ones. However, even if you have changed the lighting, observe still the use of the timers to save more energy.
- Use a timer for your thermostat. This is one of the best things you can ever use the timer for. This will help you control your central air unit especially when you need to warm or cool your home before you even get home. So instead of leaving the unit on all throughout the day, you can set it to work an hour or so before you come home.
- Educate all the household members on the proper use of the timers. Show everyone in the family how to correctly use the timers. If everyone will be responsible in using the timers correctly, you can expect a lot of savings on your energy expenses for sure.
It is true that installing timers at home can cost you money. However, the savings they can offer you on your energy bills will pay off everything to you. Hence, do not waste a day or two before you consider using timers around the home. If you want to successfully cut your energy expenses down, it is only best to install timers and use them appropriately at home.