The Internet is quickly becoming one of the essential services that people need in their day to day life. The Internet is necessary not just for work, but also for communicating with family and friends, for staying in touch, and for entertainment. Many homes and offices now have wireless Internet connections enabled in their house. Although these wireless Internet connections are very convenient, keep in mind that they are also very easy to hack into. Here’s how you can secure your connection.
- Log in information. The very first thing that you need to do after you have set up the Internet connection is to change the log in information. This is especially important if a technician has set up the computer for you. Make sure that only you know what the log in information is. Apart from changing the log in information, you should also change the SSID access points to a personal name of your choosing.
- Disable broadcast. Next, you need to prevent the SSID from being automatically broadcasted. In public hotspots, the SSID is automatically distributed so that various devices can connect to the Internet. When you allow the SSID to be automatically broadcasted, however, you are essentially informing other people that you have an unsecure wireless Internet connection.
- WPE support. make sure that your hardware are all capable of handling WPE , which is the most basic type of data security protocol that you can use to protect the information that is passing from your hardware. As much as possible, however, you should choose devices with higher protection such as those that are able to handle WPA2 or at least WPA. . Keep in mind that it only takes one device to penetrate your entire wireless network.
- Positioning. While setting up the router for your wireless Internet network, you should also consider the placement and the position. Some people place their routers in the roof or in high places such as the balcony. As much as possible, however, you should place the router only in the rooms where you need the Internet, or in the center of the house. This way, the signal will be too weak to be accessible for people living outside your house.
- Addresses. The dynamic IP address is one of the easiest to use, which is why most people have dynamic IP addresses. These types of addresses, however, are also one of the easiest to hack. Try to use static IP addresses whenever possible. Also make sure that you have specified the MAC addresses to only devices that you regularly use.
- Shut down. If you are leaving the house, be sure to turn off the router. A lot of people get so used to leaving the router on all the time that they forget that this makes their networks more vulnerable. By turning the hardware off, you can ensure that no one will be able to hack into your system. Also make sure that you disable remote administration, so that a hacker from the outside cannot operate your network.
With these in mind, you should be able to increase the security and protection for your wireless Internet connection.