Day care centers are temporary havens for your kids while you are away. It is only right that a responsible parent like you should be more than sure when it comes to their kids’ safety. There are several grounds to cover. Not all day care centers can guarantee your child’s safety all the time. As you cannot afford to take chances when it comes to your child’s security, it is a wise parenting move to meticulously go over your choice of day care center.
Here are some pointers towards securing your day care center.
- Make a checklist of the particular details that can affect your child’s stay at the area. This may involve the general physical construction and environment of your child. Check if there is an unfenced pool or animals around. These factors can pose danger for your kid, especially when enough supervision is not provided.
- Conduct an ocular inspection on the entire area armed with your pre-made list. Ask the owner or the staff of the facility to allow you to look around. If you have made a polite request, they will not feel offended but would even guide you in a tour. If something is unclear and unsure to you, do not hesitate to ask questions.
- Observe the general functioning of the day care center. Some would allow you to watch for several minutes. Be very observant and know the things that you should be looking for. Pay particular attention on how the facilities are being utilized. Observe the daily activities that are scheduled. Safety is a concern, but another is the promotion of your child’s intellectual, moral and spiritual improvement as well. Do not appear to be imposing, rather, treat it as a friendly visit. Do not make it too obvious that you are observing their every move. Some people tend to act differently because they know they are being watched.
- Ask other parents and hear their opinions. Be interested in knowing the feedback of other parents that have previously availed the services of the day care. More likely, these parents have the same concerns as you do. Be open in discussing it with them. Do not hesitate to ask them questions, as all of you are coming from the same page.
- Make the day care job easier for them. Provide them the information that they will need in caring for your child. Provide a health diary. Include everything there is concerning your child’s physical, emotional and as well as his spiritual health. Include any information about medications that your child is currently taking. Any physical illness history has to be provided as well as current and chronic problems. Any unpleasant reaction that can be expected from your child should be indicated there so as to alert the day care center beforehand. Most importantly, this book should provide the important contact numbers in case of an emergency. Place in there the contact information of your child’s doctor and dentist as well as your own. Regularly update this book, as accuracy is a deal breaker in any emergency situation.
- Make sure that the day care center is appropriate for your child’s condition. This is applicable if your child has any disabilities or limitations, as he will need a special kind of handling and care. Not all ordinary day care facility can provide what your child need. Give enough time and effort in finding a specialized day care center that can match your child’s care arrangements. If you intend to stick to conventional services, check if the personnel are trained well to handle your child according to his condition. Also check whether the physical environment won’t hinder your child’s comfort in any way. You are the only one who knows your child that well as to answer these questions accurately.
The best gift that you can give to your child while you’re away is the safety and comfort of a day-care center where you intend to leave him.