Hosting a fondue dinner is an interesting take on dinner. Rather than serving up your usual dishes family style, if you have some fondue sets, you can liven things up by having your guests cook their own food by dipping items in a fondue dish.
Here are some ideas you can try if you want to serve a fondue dinner.
- Set your table as usual. Prepare your dinner table as you would have a traditional dinner. However, it’s a good idea to use smaller plates rather than large dinner plates. Also, you want to avoid centerpieces that can catch on fire, so keep the centerpieces low and unobtrusive. Aside from forks and knives, your guests will need a few fondue sticks. If you don’t have enough to go around, you may also use bamboo barbeque sticks. Make sure the handles are long enough to allow each guest to comfortably reach into the fondue pot.
- Prepare your fondue dishes. If you’re serving a fondue dinner, you’ll probably need more than one fondue pot. If you don’t have one, borrow a set from your neighbor or friend. If you are serving more than one fondue dish, you definitely need more than a single pot.
- Start with some cheese fondue and bread. Find your favorite cheese fondue recipe and make it over the stove. Pour the melted cheese in the fondue pot and serve it with a few slices of French bread. Make sure to place a small tea light or candle underneath the pot to keep the cheese warm.
- Choose between soup and salad for the next course. Decide if you are serving some salad or a bowl of soup. If you are serving meat cooked in oil, you may want to balance things out with a nice plate of fresh greens.
- Choose your main dish. There are many meats you can cook in fondue style. Choice beef tenderloin cuts is a great option. Pork tenderloin chunks is another great way to go. Simply season the meat with a bit of salt and pepper and it’s ready to go. If you prefer seafood, you can bring out squid balls or even fish sticks. Shrimp also holds well when cooked in a fondue pot. Arrange the items on a large serving plate and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
- Fill the fondue pot with either cooking oil or broth. Choose from the two ways of cooking in a fondue pot. You may also do both, provided that you have two separate pots to use. Make sure you use new vegetable oil to keep the flavor fresh. If using broth, you can use some chicken stock.
- Include side dishes with your dinner. Don’t forget to prepare some side dishes to accompany your main dish. You can prepare some potato or grilled vegetables. Meats will go well with some bread, potato or even rice.
- Make a fondue dessert. To cap things off, melt some chocolate and make a chocolate fondue. Combine equal parts dark and milk chocolate and half a cup of cream. Add a tablespoon of butter and stir until melted. In small serving bowls, offer some marshmallows and cut up fruit such as apples, bananas, strawberries or mango.
If your guests are unfamiliar with a fondue dinner, it’s your job as host to introduce them to this fun way of cooking your own food. After all, eating items from a stick that you dip in a pot of delights is a wonderful way to relax and enjoy your meal. Once you do this, your guests will keep coming back for more.