Windows Internet Explorer has been the most widely used Internet browser in the world until other Web browsers competed with its share. Since then, usage share of this browser has been declining. But still, many users, especially those with Windows OS, still prefer Internet Explorer. It’s easier to get Windows update and work with other Windows-related activities using this Web browser. You can do better than just having IE as your alternative, though. You can make it as your default browser by following the steps below:
- Go to Add or Remove Programs window. To do this, click on “Start” and then the “Control Panel.” Choose the icon for “Add/Remove Programs” and its window will appear.
- Set the default Web browser. Click on the “Set Program Access and Defaults” button, which is at the left-hand side of the window. You’ll see the options for the default Web browser. The list includes all the available Web browsers, including the Windows Internet Explorer (unless it’s not installed). Click on the circle before IE. Other Web browsers can still be used if you checked the “Enable access to this program” box, next to their names. Click on the “OK” button.
- Check the default browser. Click on a link from a document. It should open using the Internet Explorer if you have successful set it as the default Web browser. If not, try to repeat the steps above. But before you click on a link again, restart the computer first. This should refresh the setting and finally set IE as the default browser.
There are other ways to set Internet Explorer as the default Web browser. Here are the steps for one of the alternative ways:
- Open the Internet Explorer. Click on the “Tools” from the main menu. There is the “Internet Options” list from the Tools dropdown menu. Click on the “Programs” tab from the opened window.
- Look for a heading labeled as “Default Web browser.” Look for the “Make Default” button, which is found at the right-hand side of the window. Click “OK” or close the window. Check if you have done it correctly by clicking on a link.
Below are steps for another way to make IE the default Web browser:
- Access the “Internet Options.” Open the Internet Explorer first. Then, click on the “Start” menu and then the “Control Panel.” Click on the “Network and Internet” icon. There, you will find the “Internet Options” window.
- Click on the window’s “Programs” tab. Click again the “Make default” and click “OK.”
All these steps on setting Internet Explorer as the default Web browser
are only possible if you have already installed the program. If you have
not yet, then go to the Official Internet Explorer website and download
a copy of the program. It is not for free, though. As an alternative,
you can look for its installer, included in a Windows OS. Simply get
updates for the Web browser, which is possible only if you have a
Internet Explorer is maybe a helpful Web browser but it’s notorious for
having security flaws. Many adwares, spywares, and other forms of
malwares can infect your computer through these security flaws. No
wonder why its popularity is steadily declining since the popularity of
other free and more secured Web browsers. But it’s still your choice and
you sure know the best default Web browser for your needs.