Having your own router at home makes it a lot easier for everyone else to stay connected and maximize your Internet connection. If you are using the Verizon FiOS router, you can just follow the steps outlined below. Having a router at home will lead to multiple usage of the Internet connection so make sure that the network settings that you will make are secure so that no one will intentionally leech off your Internet connection. Be sure to keep the password private and restricted to your family members.
- Materials that you will need:
- Verizon FiOS router, MI424 model
- Power supply for the router
- Ethernet cable (yellow)
- Coax cable
- Disconnecting the old router. Before you do anything else, disconnect the old router from any other cable it is connected to since you will be using these same cables later on. If you do not have an old router then just disregard this step.
- Checking the coax wall outlet. You must plug your coax cable to your wall and have the other end of your connector plugged into your Verizon FiOS router. Make sure that the coax outlet is still in good condition. If your home uses an Ethernet cable instead of a coax cable then connect your Ethernet cable into the wall and have the other end on your router.
- Plugging it into the power source. You can now connect your router to your power source. Look for the power socket, which is next to the power switch. Once you have plugged in the power cord you can plug the power cord to the socket.
- Turning on your router. You will know that the power is on when you have plugged your router and then switching on the "ON" switch. A green bulb must light up. To signify a good signal, the bulbs must be in solid green.
- Hooking up your Ethernet port. Your yellow Ethernet cable should be plugged into the router. After that, you can install the router driver into your computer and manage the settings for your own access point. Take note that if your light is always amber then you may need to call the customer service hotline of Verizon.
This router can also be used for other connections but since you are getting it from Verizon, you may not have the luxury of having a customer support team assisting in troubleshooting or for any type of set up concerns. Make sure that the router is always turned on and connected to a power source so that your Internet usage will be uninterrupted. Also, double check if you are using a voltage regulator. This may be useful especially if power fluctuations are common in your area. Organize your cables by tying them together and labeling the ends near the plugs with their names. Another cool way of identifying cables is by having a colorful sticker at the end. Switch off your router if you will not be using it for a long period of time. Take good care of your router and it should last several years.