A sleep mask is a piece of fabric that is meant to cover the eyes while you sleep. Many men and women use this to help block out the light in order to achieve a restful night’s sleep. Even a minimal amount of light can disturb the sleep pattern of the most sensitive individuals, so it’s a good idea to use a sleep mask if this is the case.
The most luxurious sleep masks come in silk fabric. Silk is often used because it is lightweight and cool on the skin and eye area. Also, it is a breathable fabric, so once you put it on, you can pretty much forget that you are wearing it.
Here’s how to sleep in a silk mask.
- Purchase the silk mask of your choice. There are many sleep masks available in the market. These are readily sold at the sleep or beddings section of retailers and department stores. You may also find a sleep mask at the personal care section of the pharmacy. If you’d like to try one, use the free ones given on airplanes. If you wish, you may also purchase a silk sleep mask online. Silk masks are luxury items so be prepared to spend a bit of money. For example, a Bona Notti silk sleep mask retails for $20. However, they do come in a variety of fun prints to choose from.
- Get ready for bed. When you are ready to go to sleep, take a bath, wash your face and brush your teeth. Take care of your personal business so you can tuck yourself in bed in comfort. Brushing your hair may also help you feel more relaxed.
- Ensure your room is peaceful and quiet. Make your bedroom a restful place to sleep in. Open the window slightly to let some fresh air in, but make sure you have enough blankets to feel warm and comfortable. If your bedroom is facing a lamppost or is on the main road where you can hear a lot of noise, invest in drapes that block out sound and light. This will help minimize any interruptions while you sleep.
- Turn off the lights. When it’s time to go to sleep, dim the lights. It’s also a good idea to turn off the TV and any type of music or noise in the room. Avoid working in the room so you can be relaxed in your bedroom.
- Put your silk sleep mask on. Get your silk sleep mask and place it over your head. If you still need to do some things, don’t cover your eyes just yet. The elastic band of the silk mask should rest comfortably above your ears. The body of the fabric should rest over your eyes. The silk sleep mask shouldn’t cover your nostrils. Make sure the sleep mask isn’t too tight or snug. Now close your eyes and sleep!
If you find that your silk sleep mask is uncomfortable, give yourself some time to adjust. You may decide to try other brands. Avoid sleep masks with embroideries, ruffles and other embellishments since they can irritate your eye area and be quite bothersome. Also, if light is still a problem because your sleep mask is too sheer, choose a silk made one in a darker color, such as black or navy blue.
Use your silk sleep mask tonight so you can get a good night’s sleep!