If you are looking for a quiet spot to spend the day in Maine, go to Kittery. It is a gateway town that overlooks the Piscataqua River. About an hour away drive from Boston, Massachusetts, Kittery’s economy flourishes due to its marine-related activities and industries. But more than that, you can also find a very popular outlet mall in Kittery offering world class shopping.
Below are your suggestions on how to spend your day in Kittery, Maine.
- Enjoy Fort Foster Park on Gerrish Island. You can find sandy beaches and hiking trails in this park. There is an old military fortification for you to explore. Check out the pier and have your meals at the picnic area. Scuba diving, kayaking and windsurfing are activities you can enjoy here. Take pleasure in the wonderful views around Whaleback Lighthouse, Fort Constitution and Portsmouth Harbor. If you are bringing your dog along, leashed dogs are welcome at Fort Foster.
- Visit Fort McClary. This is one of the most important forts in Massachusetts and should not be missed. It is steeped in military history. You will surely marvel at the military architecture of Fort McClary that represents various time periods in America’s history.
- Tour Kittery on a boat. Boat tours are available. You can see the different forts mentioned above including the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Captain&Patty’s River Tours offers an 80-minute historical tour along the Piscataqua River. On the Harbor Adventures Lobster Luncheon Tour, you will see old forts, the oldest naval shipyard in America, lighthouses and islands in the area. Apart from these sites, it is not uncommon to see marine and bird life as well as lobstermen and their catch. In fact, you will be docking in one of the scenic piers and dine on lobsters as part of the tour.
- Shop till you drop at Kittery Outlets. You can find all the information you need about shopping in Kittery at The Kittery Outlets.com. All 120-plus stores located in this area are found on the website. Check out current promos and get discount/sale coupons available online. A group of 15 people can avail of the Kittery Outlet tour and get a VIP savings booklet free!
- Experience the Kittery Trading Post. If you are into fishing, hunting and other outdoor activities, the Kittery Trading Post (KTP) is the place to go. Established in 1938, you can find the widest range of items for hunting and shooting, fishing and marine activities, camping and travel, water sports, winter sports, food and lodging, men’s, women’s and kid’s outerwear and footwear at KTP. Find t-shirts, post cards, maple-sugar candy and all sorts of souvenirs at this rustic shopping landmark.
- Enjoy the lobster. Take a break from all your activities and go for the lobster. Caught fresh daily, Maine lobster is simply the best. You can find many restaurants offering seafood from the coast of Maine. Ask the locals for their favorite dining places. Or try Weathervane Seafood Restaurants, Bob’s Clam Hut, Warren’s Lobster House or Robert’s Maine Grill.
Kittery is the southernmost and oldest town in the state of Maine. It is not only dotted with historic forts and piers but with gourmet food shops and fine dining restaurants. Shopping in Kittery Outlets or at the Kittery Trading Post is one activity that should be on your list. But don’t forget to visit galleries and cultural sites as well. In Kittery, you will always find something interesting and enjoyable to do.