Thinking of a weekend family destination? Go to Michigan. The state of Michigan is full of places to explore and enjoy with the whole family. A weekend is not long enough so make sure you choose your destinations wisely.
- Visit museums in Detroit. Love cars? Bring the family to the Henry Ford Museum. Learn about cars and aviation history. Marvel at the different museum pieces on display like the Rosa Parks Bus, Abraham Lincoln’s chair and the limousines of different United States Presidents. For the sports minded family, a visit to Comerica Park is in order where the sports museum is located. It is home to Detroit’s baseball team: the Detroit Tigers. Your kids can spend time at the mini amusement park. Then there’s the Charles Wright Museum. Touted as the largest black history museum in the US and the world, this museum is a touching experience for one and all.
- Say hello to the animals. Michigan has many zoos housing hundreds upon hundreds of animals. The Baker Sanctuary is for bird lovers. The Belle Isle Nature Zoo is an eco-friendly zoo with nature programs for the whole family. If you are going near Battle Creek, bring the family to Binder Park Zoo. It boasts of a Wild Africa exhibit and the Miller’s Children’s petting zoo. The Children’s Zoo in Saginaw is definitely a worthwhile place for kids to visit. Other zoos are the Detroit Zoo, DeYoung Family Zoo, Garlyn Zoological Park, and more. Wherever you go within the state of Michigan, there’s bound to be a zoo near you.
- Spend the afternoon at Belle Isle island park. Designed by the same person who designed New York’s Central Park, Belle Isle has a number of attractions for the whole family. You can go to the beach, visit the zoo, see the Great Lakes Museum or explore the nature trails.
- Grab some dogs. That’s hotdogs. In Rockford, Michigan, you can find the Hot Dog Hall of Fame. It is north of the Grand Rapids. Look for the Corner Bar popular for its great tasting hot dogs. If you can eat 12 or more hot dogs, a brass nameplate with your name on it will be hung on the wall. The kids will surely find this cool!
- Go to see the Soo Locks. In the third oldest city in the US, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, you will find the Soo Locks. Watch the different ships as they travel between the lower Great Lakes and Lake Superior via the Locks. At the Visitor Center, find out how the Locks work, their history and marvel at the exhibits and artifacts on display. You may also want to take the family on the Locks Train Tour or the Locks Boat Tour.
- Enjoy the wilderness. Select from the many campgrounds all over Michigan. There are rustic cabins if you want to be indoors or you can sleep under the stars. Go hiking, trekking, swimming, fishing, water skiing, and more. Some of the more popular campgrounds in Michigan are:
- P.J Hoffmaster State Park
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park
- Ludington State Park
- Waterloo Recreation Area
- Tahquamenon Falls State Park
Michigan has many places worth visiting. No matter what your family is interested in (history, nature, science, arts, culture, food and more) you will surely find what you are looking for in Michigan. Go online for more suggestions on how to spend a family weekend in this exciting state. Since you can’t see everything in one weekend, take note of the other places you want to visit in Michigan for your future family vacations.