Spiked hair is a very popular hairstyle for many boys and men. While spiked hair is relatively easy to attain if you have straight hair, it can be a little bit challenging for people with curly hair. This does not mean, however, that curly haired people can no longer get spiked hair. Here’s how
- Wash your hair. Start by washing your hair. When you wash your hair, you will be able to keep your hair soft and manageable. Clean hair is much easier to style, which is why you need to wash your hair first. Make sure that you use softening shampoos that are very lightweight. Heavy and creamy shampoos and conditioners will make your hair even more difficult to style. If you like to emphasize your natural curls, go with thick shampoos. But if you want your curls to straighten out and be styled with spikes, use lighter shampoos.
- Moisten hair. After you have washed your hair, use a towel to pat the excess water from your hair. Make sure, however, that you do not remove all the water in your hair. A little bit of water and moisture will keep your hair very soft and manageable. Don’t worry about the moisture, because you will blow dry your hair later on.
- Add gel. While your hair is still a little bit moist, go and take some hair gel or hair wax. Hair gel will give your hair the wet look, while hair wax will give your hair a more matte appearance. Depending on how you want your hair to look, use gel or wax. Make sure that you apply the hair product in small amounts, because too much will make your hair look too rigid. Even though you are going for the spiked look, you should still make sure that your hair moves just a little bit, to make it look more natural.
- Spiking. Now that you have added the hair products, use your fingers to create little spikes. Some people will actually take strands of hair and then twirl them in their fingers, to create massive spikes. Some others will simply use their fingers or a wide-tooth comb to brush the hair upwards, which will create very small spikes, which give a more natural look. The choice is yours as to the size of the spike that you want on your head. You can also choose to limit the spikes to the front of your head, or to your entire head.
- Blow dry. After you have added the spikes, take a blow drier and use it to remove the excess moisture. While your hair is still moist, your hair will be very sensitive and may move around with the blow drier, so be sure to use only the lowest heat settings for the blow drier. Make sure that you don’t put the blow drier to close to your head, so that the spikes stay in place.
Finally, add a little bit of hair spray to your spikes. The hair spray will coat the strands of hair with a sealant that will keep your hair from moving, and which will keep the hair product in place