Feeling drowsy right after lunch is common, especially if you have not had enough sleep or have run out of energy from the morning’s activities. Staying awake after lunch is a challenge especially for people who work 9-5 jobs. The temptation to sleep is even harder to resist because afternoons are often quiet and laid back. If you do not have the luxury of taking afternoon naps, or need to stay alert the whole day at your workplace, the following suggestions can help you keep yourself alert on those lazy afternoons.
- Have a good night’s sleep. Tiredness after lunch is common with people who do not get enough sleep. Instead of spending your night watching TV and doing unnecessary stuff, why not try to sleep earlier? Make sure that you get at least seven to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep. Try it to stay energized from morning ‘til night.
- Exercise. Even a five-minute burst of exercise can help energize you for a whole day of work. You can do a short exercise routine in the morning and repeat it in the afternoon. Brisk walking is enough to keep your body active after lunch. Breathing exercises and meditation are good methods too, especially after a full meal where too much movement is not good.
- Do not eat a lot at lunch. One of the common reasons why people feel sleepy right after lunch is that they have eaten too much. Try to lessen what you are used to eating, or eat just enough to satisfy your hunger. You’ll feel more alive when you do this. Too much food in the stomach takes up a lot of energy for proper digestion. When energy is depleted, fatigue or drowsiness sets in.
- Do not drink coffee in the morning. Coffee is a great energy booster. But it is only a short-term remedy to the root cause of your problem. You may get a quick energy boost that will only last a few hours. After it wears out, you feel extra tired and may not be capable of staying awake after lunch.
- Drink eight glasses of water. It is important to drink enough water every day to keep your body hydrated. A lack of water can weaken the body, which will need more energy to last the day. You must also drink more glasses of water if you take in a lot of coffee. Caffeinated drinks like coffee, tea, and soda can rob the body of its natural moisture. Replenish the lost fluid by drinking more water.
- Avoid snacking on sugary food. Sugary food intensifies your need to sleep in the afternoon. Instead, snack on whole grains and fresh fruits. They will give you enough energy to get through and stay awake the whole day.
- Listen to music. Listen to lively and upbeat music to help keep you awake after lunch.
- Wash your face. Use cold water to wash your face every three minutes until you are no longer sleepy.
The tips above have been used by many people who want to stay awake after lunch, and have proven to be very effective. Let your mind control your body so it can dictate the condition your body should be in, no matter what time of the day.