Shyness and feelings of insecurity towards the opposite sex are normal. It is part of growing up. Sometimes, adults even experience the same issues. If you’re a young woman and you find that you’re shy around boys, you’re not alone. However, it doesn’t mean that you always have to be that way.
There are things you can do to start overcoming your shyness. Here are approaches you can take to stop being boy shy.
- Believe in yourself. You need to develop your self confidence and self esteem. You need to look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself every morning that you’re a good person and you have a lot of great qualities. Give yourself a mental pep talk so you can start believing that boys and other girls will like you for who you are. It doesn’t matter if you have zits, have low grades or still have baby fat. If you want other people to start liking you, you need to like and accept yourself first.
- Know that boys are just people too. Boys your age are going through the same thing you are so they too have feelings of insecurity and uncertainty. The boy may be shy too! The difference is that boys tend to cover up their shyness and insecurity by being more loud or boisterous. If you start thinking that you’re all really the same underneath the glossy exterior, you’ll find that boys will be much more approachable.
- Smile. If you would like to start winning friends and give off the vibe that you are approachable, smile when you make eye contact with someone. It’s a signal to the world that you are friendly and are open. When you smile at someone, it lets the boy know that you are accepting of him.
- Don’t try too hard. When you’re trying to get over your shyness around boys, don’t go the other extreme and flirt shamelessly. Just be yourself and don’t be something or someone you’re not. Don’t agree to things in the conversation just to make him like you. Express your own opinions. Be original. You also don’t need to dress in a sexy manner to get their attention.
- Develop other interests that boost your self-esteem and make you feel good about yourself. If you want to stop being boy shy or get over your shyness in general, then you need to develop yourself. Find things that interest you and explore it. If you love music, take singing classes or join the choir. If you love art, start painting. Don’t make your life revolve around boys because there are so many other things you should be focusing on. It’s ok to work on your shyness, but it’s shouldn’t be your goal in life to get a boyfriend.
It’s up to you to get over your shyness around boys. Relax, take a deep breath and groom yourself so you know you look your best. Smile and be approachable so you don’t have to be boy shy anymore.