Dry, red, chapped lips are a common concern in men and women alike, especially come winter and autumn time. The most well-known solution to this problem is lip balm. However, recent research has found out that this so-called solution is no solution at all. It even aggravates whatever already existing problem there may be. Its active ingredients petroleum jelly and beeswax actually cause lip irritation and dryness over time.
Long-term use of lip balm has a detrimental effect on your oral health (your mouth and tongue, not just your lips); and it has also been found to be addictive. If you are among the unfortunate ones who have become addicted to it, here are a few very helpful tips on how you can stop lip balm addiction and still successfully heal your dry, red, chapped lips.
- Make an appointment with your dermatologist. Before anything else, visit your doctor and open up your concern. As with all other aspects in life, ask the proper authority first to prevent things from getting worse. Yours may or may not be a simple case of chapped or dry lips. A doctor will enlighten you on what medication is best for your condition and what’s not. Don’t forget to ask him why it’s not advisable to use lip balm for chapped lips. He’ll discuss it with you in further detail.
- Stop using lip balm, even medicated ones. Chap-Stik, Carmex and Blistex are a few popular examples of medicated lip balm that can really be addictive. Other side-effects include itchiness and cankers. Once you stop applying these products, you will experience a burning sensation and irritation in your mouth going to your tongue; so the tendency is to continue using these products. However, do try to tolerate such withdrawal after-effects. It would help you to know that lip balm does not really penetrate the surface of your lips; instead, it invites bacteria to enter into your mouth.
- Go natural. Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) is one amazing lip balm alternative. VCO is an all-natural medicine also used in treating dry, chapped lips and many internal diseases. It is available internationally in all food stores and is sold at a cheap price of $5-$10 each. VCO can go a long way after application so constant reapplication is not necessary.
- Avoid licking your lips. This is a bad habit. Your saliva, along with the wind, only makes your lips drier than they already are.
- Drink plenty of water. Dry skin and dry lips are actually symptoms of the disease, and not the disease itself. If it’s not at all windy but your lips are dry and chapped anyway, there must be a deeper reason for having dry lips. The root cause may lie internally, so it would be best to consult your doctor. Anyhow, drinking plenty of clear fluids (water and fresh, organic fruit juice) is the best, most natural and lasting solution to dry lips. Pay close attention to your water intake especially during the cold season. In the summer, you instinctively drink lots of water because you naturally feel thirsty due to the heat. During the cold season, however, you may not be consciously aware that your body needs water. So, try to be attentive to this neglected need and still drink at least 8 glasses of water per day to keep your body well-hydrated.
- Eat plenty of juicy fruit and succulent vegetables. Aside from keeping your body well-hydrated, you should also feed it with the right food. A healthy, well-balanced diet of fruits and vegetables is very helpful and effective. Not only will you rid yourself of the problem of having dry, chapped lips, you will also enjoy a good complexion and healthy hair. Along with this, you should also keep alcohol and tea intake to a minimum. They are among the major culprits in dehydration. If you are drinking herbal tea as part of a curative or preventive treatment, increase your water intake. Tea is a diuretic; as part of its detoxifying effect, it will cause you to urinate more than usual.
Listen to your body. A clean and healthy lifestyle is all that you need
to help your body heal naturally. Not only will you say goodbye to dry,
red, chapped lips; but you will also have the benefit of having healthy
internal organs. If your body is healthy within, then it will manifest